• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any problems with using roff rack as lightbar?

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
I just made a light bar out of one of my stock roof racks, I want to know if anyone has done this before, and if it has held up fine or iff it has givven them problems. thank you for any help

-ben

Hey Bro..

I have my roof rack converted to a light bar front and back, they are 4 across the front and measure about 6.5"X3.75". I also have 2 of them at the back facing the rear, it looks great the lights are 55w halogen and work very well for the price I paid, I have $75 CND invested including wires and switches, my brother who owns a stereo shop installed them and I have no problems at all, just to let you know though depends on how you mount them, once mine were in, the roof rack could not be adjusted, so pick you location carefully as once they are mounted and wired in, thats it...

GQ

oh and btw, I had them on for about 3 months now, and before my other XJ (R.I.P). was totaled, it had the same light bar for 8 months with no problems, I also am using 10 Guage wire on my current XJ..

hope that is of some help to you

GQ

I had that setup on my xj for awhile before it rolled... it was functional but not ideal. The roof rack rails are not as rigid as a true light bar and the lights will bounce a bit. But how often do you actually use them? If it is to achieve a certain offroad look, then it fits the bill.

Many years ago, I mounted a pair of 6" KC Daylighters on my dad's 84 roofrack.

The glare off the hood was horrible, and they did bounce around some.

well I don't wash my rig so there is no glare, I used 4 5" 55w halogen lights that I got at harbor freight for 10.99 a peice then got a lighted 20 amp switch for 4.99, a roll of 10 gage wire and used my sub woofer power wire for power (I no longer have a sub) it works great, I wish I could use it on the road. I will have pics up soon.

Back