• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunking from front???

schaff90xj

NAXJA Forum User
last winter when ever i would drive around in 4l or 4h i would get a clunking sound from what sounded like the front driver side of the axle. it would make it only when accellerating and turning and accellerating at the same time. the first time it did it i was climbing a steep grade in 4l and it did it for the rest of winter. just a litle fyi..i am still in iraq and have been playing army since then so have had no time to diagnose it. but when i went home on leave i pulled it into both 4l and 4h on an icy road and couldn't get it to make the clunking again. my first guesses are either a faulty hub or another stupid vacuum problem with the front disconnect?? any help would be greatly appreciated. i have done quite a bit of searching around here and haven't seen and others like it..thanks..btw..90xj, ax-15, 4.0, stock d30, np231
SPC Schaff
Baghdad Iraq

I've got a similiar problem with mine... When in 4L or 4H out in the sand and I punch it to get up a hill or something my 4x4 light goes up momentarily and I get a clunking. So far undiagnosed but I suspect vac is the cause.

On a different note, stay safe over there... Hope you get to come home soon. :patriot:

94DCXJ said:
I had a similar clunking sound only when climbing hills in 4wd. Turned out to be the driver's side motor mount.

I had that noise and still have it, but in the process and following finally the assumption that it might "carry" from another component I checked UCA bushings on axle, all other bushings/joints on the arms, track bar mount, track bar joint (both ends) tie rods and shook the hell out of the axle stub to check the wheel bearings...... haven't found anything except potential rubbing from a coil spring on the track bar mount, but even after I moved the axle left a bit more it's still there. Good luck :D

for some reason i keep telling myself that it is mechanical..doesn't feel like something in the suspension is binding..shifting..wore out. and it definatley isn't body related..if/when i get home i am going to be doing a lift and gear install so hopefully in that process i will find out what's happening..thanks for the input though..and the support!

I'm 18 and I recently bought a 1990 XJ and mine makes a similar clunking noise only mine does it in all ranges, 2H 4H and 4L, if anyone has any idea what it might be i would appreciate the help.

scaff90xj, i am stationed at fort bragg and wish i could be over there with you. thanks for for helping out the country and enjoy the sand.

as for the clunking, i got nothing.

Back