• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical conduit roof rack?

ZmOz

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering if anybody has made a roof rack from electrical conduit. I was looking at some at Home Depot today...could make a rack DIRT cheap. Anybody have any pictures or anything? I know I've read posts about them in the past...

I would stick to tubing or thicker wall'ed square stock. Especially if you plan on building an exo cage; think ahead and do it once, instead of doing it, then doing it again later.

-Red

What does an exo cage have to do with a roof rack??? No, I don't ever plan on building one...

ZmOz said:
Just wondering if anybody has made a roof rack from electrical conduit. I was looking at some at Home Depot today...could make a rack DIRT cheap. Anybody have any pictures or anything? I know I've read posts about them in the past...

:laugh2: Electrical conduit!!! Wheew! That's a good one! For a minute I thought you were serious! :doh:

I'm sure this was done before. Just do some searching. I know for a fact it was at least talked about before. Some guys think that conduit is too weak for a roof rack, but it all depends on what you intend to put up there. I have a Surco. It's light and strong, but I still only put light weight stuff up there. No coolers or tool boxes.
Good Luck.... Keep us posted on you progress

Phil

search some threads from last week, some guy is selling them on ebay made out of conduit. Not cheap either.... One of the guys here a few years ago made one out of PVC and kept a spare up there too !!!! Not bad for like $20, it was a blue XJ and the guy was out of NY....

Well, if you tie your exo into your roof rack it has something to do w/ it. So if you build an exo why the hell would you want to tie it into electrical plumming?

-Red

ZmOz said:
What does an exo cage have to do with a roof rack??? No, I don't ever plan on building one...

I don't know what all the hubbub was about. It looks like it would hold stuff.
While the price, at $300 was outragious, the idea is a good one. I woulda never thought to use fence pipe and joints.

P5160092.JPG

RichP said:
.... One of the guys here a few years ago made one out of PVC and kept a spare up there too !!!! Not bad for like $20, it was a blue XJ and the guy was out of NY....

PVC? Scary!! I can see electrical conduit, as some of it has .065 and up wall thickness, comparable to most roof racks. Of course you have coatings and stuff on there that have to be removed before welding, so is it really worth it? 3/4" or 1" tubing is not all that expensive. Plus, you can succesfully use conduit benders on thin tube if you match the sizes. Just check a conduit chart for outside dimensions, as it is measured different than tube is.

JP

That fence pipe & joint rack is cool! I'd use eye-bolts at the joints for lashing down.

IMHO conduit is too flimsy. PVC would be better. :D

Another option would be using plain ole steel 'black' pipe, Ells and Tees, and some burnt wire. Be some heavy though... need wide feet to spread the load out over the strong points.

Redcbr007 said:
Well, if you tie your exo into your roof rack it has something to do w/ it. So if you build an exo why the hell would you want to tie it into electrical plumming?

-Red

Why is it automatically assumed that I'm going to build an exo cage? That's like saying "well, if you're replacing your headlights you might as well put on a new winch bumper".

There is nothing weak about electrical conduit. If you guys are putting things on your roof that is so heavy electrical conduit wouldn't hold it I hope to god I never see you while driving on the highway...

ZmOz said:
There is nothing weak about electrical conduit. If you guys are putting things on your roof that is so heavy electrical conduit wouldn't hold it I hope to god I never see you while driving on the highway...

so is camping gear and a full size spare safe for conduit or I should stow all that crap inside and leave the wife and kids at home? :rolleyes:

Gil BullyKatz said:
so is camping gear and a full size spare safe for conduit or I should stow all that crap inside and leave the wife and kids at home? :rolleyes:

Put the wife and kids up on the rack and tell them to hang on ;)

Mike

JKTXJ said:
PVC? Scary!! I can see electrical conduit, as some of it has .065 and up wall thickness, comparable to most roof racks. Of course you have coatings and stuff on there that have to be removed before welding, so is it really worth it? 3/4" or 1" tubing is not all that expensive. Plus, you can succesfully use conduit benders on thin tube if you match the sizes. Just check a conduit chart for outside dimensions, as it is measured different than tube is.

JP

I'm not looking to build one, I have a big surco on mine and have been very happy with it so far, carries mulitple fiberglass ladders, cases of network cable and most any other stuff I've put up there. Next to my 7' tall Craftsman Pro tool chest my parents bought me 20 years ago it's been one of the more usefull presents I've ever gotten.

Gil BullyKatz said:

Electrical conduit will have no problem holding "camping gear"...:rolleyes:

the guy had a question, and everyone blows it out of proportion...
yes conduit will work
no it won't hold alot of weight
i don't see many aftermarket racks being strong enough to be an intregal part of an exoskeleton
and if i had to drag my wife, kids and obviously alot of camping gear with me everywhere i went, i would probably just buy a winnebago or stay home,

I dunno, maybe we're all talking about different "conduit."

The stuff we use at work use is essentially rubber-coated steel pipe.

It's very sturdy, a 3' length would probably be enough to beat a man to death...

I'd have to think that any reasonable design would, like zmoz said, hold more weight than you should really put on the roof anyway. Hundreds of pounds.

Welding would be a bitch though. If you have access to a pipe threader, you could build it all with joints... Just an idea...

Robert

Last edited:
I was thinking PVC type conduit, what are you guys talking about? Thats why I was wondering wtf people are thinking!

-Red

Back