• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

guages freaking out

jimmyp

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 XJ that has developed some gremlins, the airbag light comes on and either the tach and speedo drop to zero, or all of the guages drop to zero. The problem only lasts for approx 3 minutes and then everything is fine. No other problems while this is going on, runs normal etc.....
Checked it out on a snap on scanner, code comes up as M.I.C. not responding. ( mechanical intrument cluster not responding ) and no other codes.
Thanks for any info
Jp

jimmyp said:
I have a 99 XJ that has developed some gremlins, the airbag light comes on and either the tach and speedo drop to zero, or all of the guages drop to zero. The problem only lasts for approx 3 minutes and then everything is fine. No other problems while this is going on, runs normal etc.....
Checked it out on a snap on scanner, code comes up as M.I.C. not responding. ( mechanical intrument cluster not responding ) and no other codes.
Thanks for any info
Jp

It is the two connectors in the back of the instrument cluster, pull the panels and remove the cluster, it's self docking, clean the pins and plug it back in. This was a common problem on 98/99 years. Dealer will fix it by replacing the connectors, I think their fix is around $200. I tweaked my pins on the plugs just a tad so they don't sit quite so straight and make better contact. When I did it you almost could not see the tweak cause if you tweak them too much they won't seat back in and may bend.

Thanks for the info, I got it apart, tweeked the pins and shimmed the connections out for a tighter fit, hope that takes care of it, I hate chasing gremlins.
Jp

Anyone ever try to use dielectric grease on this fix? The same thing is happening to me, so I'll be pulling it soon to hopefully fix.

I use dielectric grease on about everything. Anything to keep air(O2 actually) away from the contacts. Smear a thin coat on the male side of the connector before reassembly. Might stop the problem from reoccurring.

Back