• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 totally random questions

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
1. Why are the hub ends of my outer shafts on my 44 drilled and tapped? It's from a '76 f-250 and I don't believe there were any bolts using these holes with the original hubs :confused:

2. CRASH told me that having a (non-selectable) locker in the front and rear is going to make it damn near impossible to steer in the snow (in 4WD)...
could I just unlock one hub to relieve this problem?

Thanks,
Billy

Unlocking one hub does work fairly well, but be very aware that if the locked wheel hooks up too hard, with 100% of the torque going to the locked wheel is really hard on the Detroit's side gears. Way back when I had a full floater D44 rear in my flattie, every time, I mean every time I broke an axle while on the throttle, it took out the side gears on the Detroit too. I ended up welding the detroitup lincoln locker style. Later I upgraded to D60 with a full spool.

Dan

Dan Turner said:
Unlocking one hub does work fairly well, but be very aware that if the locked wheel hooks up too hard, with 100% of the torque going to the locked wheel is really hard on the Detroit's side gears. Way back when I had a full floater D44 rear in my flattie, every time, I mean every time I broke an axle while on the throttle, it took out the side gears on the Detroit too. I ended up welding the detroitup lincoln locker style. Later I upgraded to D60 with a full spool.

Dan

I've got an ez locker in the front, but I'm asking mainly for highway driving in the snow.
Thanks Dan,
Billy

I've never had any issues with front and rear lockers in the snow, but I don't drive it on the highway in snow.

I was told the same thing about driving in snow with lockers. This year we had piles o the white stuff and I didnt have any real problems. Just unlock one side like you mentioned and you should be fine. As for the front axle... mabey to attatch somekind of puller in case the axle is tough to pull out?? Just a bad guess.

JeepFreak21 said:
1. Why are the hub ends of my outer shafts on my 44 drilled and tapped? It's from a '76 f-250 and I don't believe there were any bolts using these holes with the original hubs :confused:

Thats where the bottle opener goes.

2. CRASH told me that having a (non-selectable) locker in the front and rear is going to make it damn near impossible to steer in the snow (in 4WD)...
could I just unlock one hub to relieve this problem?

Thanks,
Billy

Didn't have any problems this winter, but that wasn't the highway. If you have a locker in the rear and you're on the highway, what do you need to use 4wd for anyways?

JeepFreak21 said:
It's for spinnaz yo!

Because the last owner of those outer shafts were trying to use them with the longer Chevy 44 spindle. When guys swap out to chevy flat top knuckles they can no longer use the snap ring groove at the end of the stub shaft because the spindles stick out more. So instead of swapping in chevy stubs they drill & tap the ford stub & use a bolt & fender washer to hold the stub out & keep the inner yoke from rubbing on the inner housing.

Matt

FarmerMatt said:
Because the last owner of those outer shafts were trying to use them with the longer Chevy 44 spindle. When guys swap out to chevy flat top knuckles they can no longer use the snap ring groove at the end of the stub shaft because the spindles stick out more. So instead of swapping in chevy stubs they drill & tap the ford stub & use a bolt & fender washer to hold the stub out & keep the inner yoke from rubbing on the inner housing.

Matt

That's weird cuz I pulled the axle out of the original 76 f-250 :dunno: I'm sure it's still possible though. Does this weaken the stub shafts as much as it seems like it would?
Billy

If there is ICE on the road you should use 2WD(w/ no rear locker) anyway and a very light foot. If its snow, the locker will not be a problem. The locker may force one wheel to slip a bit, but in snow it can do this consistently and it dose not cause unpredictable handling, but it will help control wheel spin.

Back