• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator mounting

Roxtar

NAXJA Forum User
I'm fabbing an aluminum shroud for a new CSF radiator. Since I want to have this done before pulling the OEM radiator I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the lower mounts are like. The radiator has mounting slots on the bottom. I'm assuming these slots are for tabs to locate the radiator. Does it just sit on tabs like I decribed and bolt down on the top? If so, about how far do the tabs stick up? (how much clearence do I have to give for them?) If not then what?

I am not sure if the radiators changed much over the years, but my 90 has tabs that come out of the radiator and into the lower radiator mount. The tabs also go through the condensor mounts to hold everything in. And yes, it is bolted down from the top. Yours should be the same, depending on the year, if there was any change at all.

90red

89xj said:
why are you making a new shroud?

a new one is cheap from the dealer.

is the csf a different size?

No, I'm mounting (2) 12" Zirgo elect fans. I want to mount them to a full coverage shroud. That way I'm pulling air through 100% of the radiator instead of just the fan surface area.

90red said:
I am not sure if the radiators changed much over the years, but my 90 has tabs that come out of the radiator and into the lower radiator mount. The tabs also go through the condensor mounts to hold everything in. And yes, it is bolted down from the top. Yours should be the same, depending on the year, if there was any change at all.

90red
Mine is a '99 but it sounds like they're the same.

A reading of prior discussion regarding electric fans is highly recommended. Don't have high hopes of improved cooling over the OEM design.

PaulJ said:
A reading of prior discussion regarding electric fans is highly recommended. Don't have high hopes of improved cooling over the OEM design.
I'm hoping this will work better than others. I researched quite a bit before trying this. Rather than just replacing the mechanical fan, as most have done, I'm replacing both. The stock aux fan is only rated at 800 cfm. Each 12" Zirgo I bought get 1650 cfm for a combined 3300 cfm. This should be at least as good as the OEM pair, especially at low RPM.
I'm hoping this combo, combined with the new CSF 3 row radiator and the full shroud, will work where others failed.
We'll see.

Back