• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who Makes the Best Soft Leaf Springs

Nick

NAXJA Member #690
Can any one tell me who makes the best soft leaf springs? I know that OME will come up, But I was hoping to go to 4.5" Lift w/o shackles. Does NAtional Spring make good soft packs? Any other companies that I should know about that make high quality soft packs? Thanks for the help.

You'll have to define "soft." What I might consider soft could be unacceptably firm to someone else. Keep in mind that if you put in 4.5" lift springs without using longer shackles, it's going to ride harsh anyway, and you will severely limit your suspension articulation.

Eagle,

I was thinking soft like OME. I recently rode in an XJ with the 2" OME system it it was like night and day. I would like to replicate such a ride only with a 4.5" final lift. I had Rusty's 3" on a previous XJ and must admit I did not care for the ride.

Does anyone make a slightly longer lift spring? Some lift springs may ride harsh but it might not be due to the arch of the pack or the spring rate of the springs, it could be the fact that they're too short. The shackle angle on my RE 1462's just plain sucks, the shackle rides straight up and down at ride height, that's with a 1.5" lift shackle. If the spring packs themselves were a little longer it would make the shackle angle better and I believe the ride would improve. You might want to research spring lengths as well as lift height and spring rates.

Could someone explain how the shackle length helps the ride of shorter springs? Thanks I'm a novice at suspension physics

Carpenter said:
The shackle angle on my RE 1462's just plain sucks, the shackle rides straight up and down at ride height, that's with a 1.5" lift shackle.

If those springs have a positive arch, straight up and down is exactly the way the shackles are supposed to be at static height. That way the shackle can swing forward when the suspension droops and swing back when the suspension compresses.

The complaint I see more often is that after installing lift springs the shackle points way forward, and may be at such an angle that instead of swinging back under compression it binds up and locks in place.

I have a set of 8" Alcan packs they are a longer leaf springs, I had to build some custom shackles and knotch out my rear bumper, so when the spring flexed up, It had enough room for the shackle to swing back and not bottom out on the mount, but after all that, they work great!

Cory

XJCHUCK72 said:
You can also box in the rear shackle mount, and bring it down. This also frees up the shackle movement. You can also move the shackle mount forward or backward to get the desired shackle angle.

I'm considering doing just that. Straight up and down might be where the shackle should be but with in that possition the ride sucks and the down travel is all but non-existant.

Nick

With the stock setup the shackle sits with the lower pin aft of the upper. The stock leaves are flat or nearly so, and with flex in either direction the leaves actually get shorter as they arch. This means the lower pin on the shackle will only travel forward, and it's free to do so. With longer more arched springs the spring gets longer upon compression, as the arch flattens. This forces the shackle's lower pin to swing rearward. At stock length the shackle doesn't have far to travel before it hits the frame, so the energy of the bump that caused the compression goes right into the frame and on into you. With a longer shackle, the lower pin can swing rearward freely, and the springs will absorb the bumps.
OME also makes a heavy duty spring pack that is rumored to net about 3". Add a 1.5" shackle to that, and you'll be sittin' right about 4.5". That's the option I've been thinking about, though the Alcan springs are looking good as well.

BigNutt said:
The only thing I like about Rustys is his coils and springpacks. They ride really good. On the hwy you get a Z71ish ride. (soft)

I wish I could share your opinion about the springpacks. I got my 4.5" lift last October (which ended up giving me almost 6" of lift), and the packs were a real hassle.

First of all, they were too stiff. I could feel my kidneys travelling up to my throat, every time I hit a speed bump.

Then, when mounted, the left the shackles pointing all the way forward. This led to binding, which in turn made the front of the springs move in over their bushings, so much so, that they ended up touching the metal in the front mounts side.

Rysty had send me some .75" longer, greasable shackles to solve the problem, as well as some better-designed front bushings. Eventually, I ended up removing the lower leaf from the packs, and re-installing them with the new shackles and bushings. This gave me a much softer ride and some better articulation, without affecting the truck's ride, which remained almost the same (1 cm shorter than before).

Rgds

wow, its scary to think that i had the exact same problem as you when i installed my 4.5" Rusty's packs. he sent me the extended shackel, the bushing shifted in the front. it now has sagged a bit, i removed the lower leaf and replaced it with the stock one for less axle wrap, but the ride is nice. how did you fix the bushing slipping? im at school now and i havent had the means to do anything about it. ill be back in ABQ, NM in a few weeks and ill have all me tools :),

thanks

88justin said:
wow, its scary to think that i had the exact same problem as you when i installed my 4.5" Rusty's packs. he sent me the extended shackel, the bushing shifted in the front. it now has sagged a bit, i removed the lower leaf and replaced it with the stock one for less axle wrap, but the ride is nice. how did you fix the bushing slipping? im at school now and i havent had the means to do anything about it. ill be back in ABQ, NM in a few weeks and ill have all me tools :),

thanks

Ask Rusty to send you the bushings he send to me, John in Greece. He knows. They are of a different design than the ones on your pack and they look as if they solve the problem.

I wish I had retained my original leaves, although they were pretty shot, I could use the lower leaf, like you suggest.

Rgds

I have the OME 3" JC1A's leafs and will be adding the RRO 1.5" lift shackles... This is said to be the best combo for a soft flexible 4.5" rear lift. Combine this with their long shocks and it is hard to be on or offroad.

Back