• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Template making tricks?

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
I'm hoping you guys can share some template/fabrication tips with me...
I suck at making brackets and stuff when the holes have to match up with holes already on the jeep. I've tried covering the area in paint and pressing cardboard to it and even making a template from clear lexan, but it's a PITA. Anybody have any secrets or ideas?
Thanks,
Billy

I sometimes use paper,lay it on what I'm duplicating ,use a piece of chalk on it's side,work excellent, depends on what your doing though

Drill new holes in the Jeep.

Seriously, tracing doesn't work. What you need is a good dial indicator, a compass, a ruler and the patience to measure everything out properly. Lay it out on drafting paper, and then use a center punch to transfer to your sheet of steel.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Drill new holes in the Jeep.

Seriously, tracing doesn't work. What you need is a good dial indicator, a compass, a ruler and the patience to measure everything out properly. Lay it out on drafting paper, and then use a center punch to transfer to your sheet of steel.

CRASH

True. The first few times the results are rough, but you get better with practice. The sheet steel cannot be stretched into compound curves like the pressed body panels, not with a brake, so you have to visualize and redesign the part as you work out the layout details.

Now if you want to cheat a little on the overall concept, before beginning the technical layout with a rule, dividers (compass) and a scratch awl, using aluminum foil to form a mold to trace or copy is better than paper or other tracing material.

Back