• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distibutor mod for 4.0L HO

XJ_in_Canada

NAXJA Forum User
I have see mods for pre 4.0l HO engines, where the distributor is swapped out for one with a larger rotor.

Has anyone ever come across a mod for the HO engine? The therory behind a larger rotor sure looks good on paper, but I've emailed th ecreators of the mods and they tell me it will only work on pre HO engine. Has anyone ever done this to their XJ?

Never heard of it, even for a non-HO. What's the point?

Eagle said:
Never heard of it, even for a non-HO. What's the point?

Better feul economy, proper arcing sent to the plugs, smoother idle

Here are a few sites that will explain what I am trying(would like) to do....

Ignition UPGRADES

TFI Ignition Upgrade

I've done this to a 258 (actually several - but I prefer using the GM HEI as an upgrade for simplicity and availability of parts) never to a Renix controlled 4.0 (242)... On the quick look I took at the sites referenced it didn't look like they'd done that either!

The Renix years pop-out considerably more than the pesky little 20KV that the first site mentions...

IMHO a careful re-reading of the articles with a better understanding of the XJ's existing equipment would be of value...

Coil upgrades or MCD/CDI may be a viable option for our HO...

That first upgrade site was pertaining to Ford Duraspark parts being swapped onto the old 258's with the can type coils. I don't think it would be applicable to the HO's, which already have an HEI type coil.

Lower resistance plug wires might be a good upgrade, though. After installing a set of Accel's on mine, it "seems" to run better.....

Back