• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dream Lift Kit....opine please

tellicorick

NAXJA Forum User
How 'bout some of you heavy hitters weighing in on this one. Got a 95 XJ and planning to lift 4-5 inches to clear 32" tires. Got a JB 231 case in route with supershort SYE installed and currently modifying the front HPD30 to put D44 outers, larger brakes and Warn hubs. The rear will get a custom D44 w/ discs. I've had many 4X4s (CJ5,7, S-10, FS Chevy, EB) and lifted all of them with kits. In those days, most kits are great in some areas and lack in others. My question is; what components/parts would you use with the end point being a trail capable, good driving DD.

Long Arm? Short Arm? Who's?
Front coils?
Rear springs?
Front track bar?
Shocks?
Any other parts?

the best would be to get a shop to build you a set of long-arms (watch out, I can hear Goatman coming now). Claytons is a great setup, but it does hang down a little more than neccesary, as all the "kit" do.

honestly, if you're just shooting for 32s, get a 3" lift, keep the shortarms, and cut the fenders a bit. with 5 inches and those axles, you should consider 33s or maybe even bigger.

I wouldn't run long arms for a lift clearing 32's...you'll lose way too much clearance if you rock crawl. If 32's are all you want, keep the lift at 4" or under and run short arms, and trim the fenders a bit.

Any kit with good front and rear springs plus adjustable control arms should work well for you (I'd probably look to RE for this). Take a hard look at Bilstein 5100 series shocks - they are exceptional for the dollar.

So for 32's...keep the lift down, don't do a bunch of custom mods, and save as much coin as you can with this approach so you can buy the highest quality springs and shocks, as this will make the difference in the long run.

Nay

tellicorick said:
Custom Mid-arm, check out Goatman's (or should I say hippy boy)

Front coils?
RE
Rear springs?
Nationals, spendy but they're the best
Front track bar?
Dunno, the RE HD bar and mount come to mind though
Bilstien 5100's or 5150's depending on if you need to keep up with the kids in the West Coast Desert Racing Crew

I would take a serious look at Full Traction and their new 6" long arm system.

http://full-traction.com/detail.php?MODELID=4&MAKEID=1&TYPEID=1&PRODUCTID=98&NOTES=9,10

cherokee.jpg

It's extremely complete and totally bolt on so for a good lift that will serve you well for many years I'd take a look at this.

You'll be able to go to 35s right away which you'll find yourself wanting within 6 months anyway.

Capt. Nemo photos:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mu...did=&.done=http://photos.yahoo.com/muddyjeep1

Check this Thread:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25926

Last edited:
tellicorick said:
How 'bout some of you heavy hitters weighing in on this one. Got a 95 XJ and planning to lift 4-5 inches to clear 32" tires. Got a JB 231 case in route with supershort SYE installed and currently modifying the front HPD30 to put D44 outers, larger brakes and Warn hubs. The rear will get a custom D44 w/ discs. I've had many 4X4s (CJ5,7, S-10, FS Chevy, EB) and lifted all of them with kits. In those days, most kits are great in some areas and lack in others. My question is; what components/parts would you use with the end point being a trail capable, good driving DD.

Front coils?
Rear springs?
Front track bar?
Shocks?
Any other parts?

Like other have said, long arms are good, but maybe not the best option for only 32's and 4" or so of lift. You could clear 32's with even 3" of lift and slight fender trimming. If you want a good ride and dd, get new full leaf packs and avoid the aal. They are really stiff, don't last long, etc. If you wanted to be cheap and not spend a whole lot, then get shackles and/or blocks for the rear and keep you stock springs as they aren't too old being from a 95' then your ride shouldn't be altered that much from stock, but you will have the clearance for bigger tires. If you go up from 3-4", and want to run 35's, then you can add a good aftermarket spring pack to this like rubicon express. Also with the 3" your additional mods will be at a minimum like not needing a sye kit, new trac bar, even aftermarket control arms, but after 3" these are needed. Stay low, 3", and do some cutting to fit those 32's. With 31's you should be happy with your stock gears if you have an auto and the 3.55 gears. When you go to 32's and beyond you will want to regear so figure that into the cost. 32's & 33's could use 4.10 gears and 35's 4.56 or 4.88's.

Back