• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How come no regulator?

yellowxj

NAXJA Forum User
I guess thats what it is...little ceramic do-hicy on the driverside fender. Voltage regulator for the fuel pump? My 87 doesnt have one and all the rest seem to...

It's a voltage dropping resistor so that the fuel pump will run quieter. It's bypassed during start and it wasn't used on '87s.

It is called a ballast resistor, when they go you won't be able to start the jeep. I had one that went on a 75 Dodge maxi-van, I was only getting 6v to the coil when one side opened but did not have a meter, it even gave spark but not enough to run. Happened on a sunday on the jersey shore, luckily a local gas station knew exactly what the problem was, gave me one to try, 3mi walk back to the van and it worked, bought the guy a six pack :D . After that I carried two spares and had to use one a year later..

PaulJ said:
It's a voltage dropping resistor so that the fuel pump will run quieter. It's bypassed during start and it wasn't used on '87s.
Just didnt use it for that year eh? Ok. Seemed weird to me but I've go a reason why mine doesnt have one...thanks for the help Paul and Rich

Back