• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need long arm critism!

hackedxj

NAXJA Member #1090
Hi, I have a Skyjacker Flex series on my Xj, has the LCA's that look like a turn buckle from a tractor, has bushings on one end and a large heim joint on the other and adjustable,a stout looking piece.The plan is to cut it in half, use a slightly larger tube to sleeve it,extending back to a crossmember (just a home built).I have 2 Skyjacker upper rear CA's for a tj, same as my lower but smaller in diameter, will shorten or lenghthen as needed.I plan to branch the tj arm on to my XJ arms in a 4 link set up .
?#1 Which end should I turn the heims toward, remember I have one on each arm ,which makes for several combinations.does it even matter? I've thought about this till my head hurts!
?#2 I've read somwhere (can't find it again)that this type set up can twist the tubes out of the axle housing during flex,has anyone else heard of this?
?#3 Should I go three link for the reason above or any reason?
Any thoughts appreiciated.

by "branching" i think you mean a radius arm setup with the uppers attaching to the middle of the lower long arms? This is how the Claytons setup is and it works great. I would use rubber on the axle mounts and heims on the cross member. Rubber on the mid-arm mounts as well.

OK.....I'll give you some long arm criticism. And nobody can say anything, since he asked for it. :)

So, tell me, why on earth do you want long arms? What kind of wheeling do you do? What you already have is a pretty good setup as far as link geometry goes. Are you having any problems with it?

Most long arm debates come down to this point........they give you a better ride. Are you looking for better trail performance or highway performance? The challenge in building a good long arm setup is trying to keep it from hurting trail performance. The benefit of long arms is that they give better control arm angles. Your Skyjacker lift already provides better control arm angles by repositioning the arm mounts for both uppers and lowers, and by using longer arms. So, what are you planning to gain by converting it to long arms?

I would recomend suing the heims at the crossmember as well. I fabbed up my own LCA's and to keep cost and difficulty (they're my first LCA's) down I used heims at all ends. I would have put busings or Super-Flex joints at the axle end, but didn't posses the $$. The heims gave me some room for error and they seeme to be plenty strong.

Back