• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hey kids need help with a clutch problem...

xj-fx

NAXJA Forum User
I almost have to push the clutch through the floor to disengage gears... Is this an adjustment I can make or do I need to take it to a wrench.. On a scale of 10 I have the aptitude of a 9. On a scale of 10 I have the experience of a 2.
Thanks

xj-fx said:
I almost have to push the clutch through the floor to disengage gears... Is this an adjustment I can make or do I need to take it to a wrench.. On a scale of 10 I have the aptitude of a 9. On a scale of 10 I have the experience of a 2.
Thanks

Don't think you can adjust it.... unless adjusting means installing a new one.

NIFTY AVATAR though :worship:

try bleeding the clutch...it's a pretty simple process with 2 people

1. get a piece of tubing (fuel line) and a container

2. 1/4 inch open end wrench

3. locate the slave cylinder bleeder nipple....should be on the passenger side of the trans..

4. attach hose to nipple, put other end in conatiner

5. use wrench to open bleeder nipple (righty tighty...lefty loosey)

6. have friend depress clutch to the floor 2-3 times, you hay hear air come out of the nipple, this is good)

7. have friend depress pedal to floor & hold....close nipple...check clutch firmness...refill clutch master cylinder with brake fluid (reservoir on the firewall in the driver's corner)

Repeat steps 5-7 until all air is out (may take many attempts, air like to hide deep in there).

Make sure to refill the master cylinder with fluid and tighten bleeder.

Test drive.

Post results back here!

These earlier XJs are notoriously hard to bleed and from my experience almost impossible to do by depressing the clutch pedal method. I use my vacuum bleeder or just let it gravity bleed. I asked my local dealer how they do it and they showed me a contraption they made with reservoir cap and a 1 quart bottle. They would put this on over the reservoir and fill it with fluid and let it drip all day. I use my vacuum bleeder but you have to be carefull because it sucks real fast and the reservoir is so small.

Look in the master cylinder reservoir and see if there is a bunch of black crud in it. If there is you might need to rebuild or replace it and the slave cylinder also. Good luck!

Back