• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Creeky Control Arms (Very Loud)

BrianJr

NAXJA Forum User
Over the winter I bought and installed an RE 4.5" Superflex Kit. The kit has been great for a couple of months. However, recently the suspension has been making a whole lot of noise whenever there is any wheel travel (even fractions of an inch). Not an occasional squeak - but a very loud, near constant creaking, even when driving down relatively smooth paved roads, or getting in and out of the Jeep.

The noise seems to be coming from the driver side upper control joint where it attaches to the body. As far as I can tell everything is tight and nothing seems to be binding. I have regreased the joint. However, I can not get the noise to go away.

Have any of you had similar problems - what did you do to correct the problem?

Thanks,
-Brian

BTW: In case it matters I opted for the optional adjustable control arms and HD track bar when I bought the lift.

Well, you bought what in my opinion is the best out of the box lift kit out there. I would say you need to tighten the crap out of your control arm bolts and track bar bolts. Never mind torque specs. You also need to be absolutely sure that your arms are ajusted to exactly the same lenght. If you manage to to get rid of all of the squeeks and loud poppping let us know what you did because you have done the imposible. Altough you should be able to get rid of most of the on road noise with this kit. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Well if it's greased, than I would make sure its tight at the axled end and at the frame end. Your axle bushings could be shot. Something to look at. Just and idea. Juice

id look for cracks in at area. just a thought

also, back when my XJ had the super flex...ran it a while with the upper bolt too loose and it stretched the hole in the mount into an oval. popped and creaked no matter how tight it was.

g'luck

Back