• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Revolver Shackles???

RockRod

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody running em'. How do you like them.
If not those JKS dog leg shackles for strength, anybody runnin' em'? :patriot:

Revolver shackles....... (n)

Boomerang shackles.... :thumbup:

Jes said:
Revolver shackles are not west coast approved.

They are, in fact, West Coast UNAPPROVED. We need a new check-box on our tech inspection sheets.......

Seriously, save the money and buy yourself 9 cases of Bud-Light.

CRASH

Jes said:
Revolver shackles are not west coast approved.

I noticed that people on the coast don't use revolver shackles. I was thinking of running them on my 10" lifted wrangler when I live in Chicago. Wouldn't they be good for extreme articulation to match what a long arm can do in the front of a xj? I know I've seen a soa in the front and a coil over in the back of many yj's, don't you want good flex front and rear, or maybe be just front or rear?
Troy

First off, flex is overrated. I worked hard for awhile increasing my flex, back in the days when people cared I ramped as high as 1175. Now, I keep gradually dialing it back. You need enough flex for good trail performance, but after you have enough, trail performance can actually decrease as excessive flex is increased. Excessive flex decreases stability, and enough stability is needed for good trail performance. An XJ can easily be set up to have enough flex without using Revolvers.

Most decently set up rigs can crawl through boulder fields and huge ruts, and many times it's the line that is taken and not the ability of the rig. Where the difference in rig capability seems to show these days is in the climbs. Rovolver shackles are TERRIBLE on climbs. They do weird things to the rear springs as power is applied on a steep climb.

I'm sure if you waited long enough for plenty of people to respond to a question, you'd find at least as many people who have removed their Revolver shackles as you would find people still running them.

And they are not WCGIC approved. :)

I have been fairly happy with them. Probably not a neccessity though. It seems like depending on the situation they can cause as much harm as good.
Dustin

Go with the JKS Shackle. I have had mine for about 7 years now. They came out in late 97' from ORGS. Never given me any trouble, flex just right with my RE1462 Leafs. Juice

Relocate your rear shackle mount forward (as many here have done) a few inches for better angle to improve drop if that is what you are looking for.

Goatman said:
First off, flex is overrated. I worked hard for awhile increasing my flex, back in the days when people cared I ramped as high as 1175. Now, I keep gradually dialing it back. You need enough flex for good trail performance, but after you have enough, trail performance can actually decrease as excessive flex is increased. Excessive flex decreases stability, and enough stability is needed for good trail performance. An XJ can easily be set up to have enough flex without using Revolvers.

Most decently set up rigs can crawl through boulder fields and huge ruts, and many times it's the line that is taken and not the ability of the rig. Where the difference in rig capability seems to show these days is in the climbs. Rovolver shackles are TERRIBLE on climbs. They do weird things to the rear springs as power is applied on a steep climb.

I'm sure if you waited long enough for plenty of people to respond to a question, you'd find at least as many people who have removed their Revolver shackles as you would find people still running them.

And they are not WCGIC approved. :)

What setup were you running to ramp 1175? What lift, control arms, etc. Just wondering. You are right that it is good to have decent articulation, but too much could make your rig too unstable on climbs etc. 1 of the biggest reason I have bought and further built an xj rather than my very capable yj, was I liked the longer wheelbase and it felt more stable on climbs and didn't beat my body up as much as a tall short wheelbased yj can and does. Plus at the time there weren't that many lift xj's out there, now they are very common, but still not as much as the yj/cj crowd.

mad maXJ said:
what's so great about boomerang shackles?

They allow a longer than stock spring to be mounted in the stock position without compromising rear shackle travel due to contact with the shackle box.

I take a different approach for use with a longer spring, which is RE 1.25" shackles with a half moon cut out for shackle box clearance. I extended this half moon by about an inch to the lower part of the shackle, and my shackles hit the body behind the shackle box before they will bind on it, to the point that I ground out an extra 3/4" clearance on the body. This is far more travel than I got out of boomerang shackles, and it leaves more downward swing available.

Having said this, my spring setup doesn't utilize all of this available rearward shackle travel, so my point may be moot.

Nay

I have not personally ran these, but I have heard many things. On the street when you brake hard the back will go up and cause handling problems. I've also heard of them unloading on ledges and rocks. A double whamy would be going downhill with ledges... :scared: Just my thoughts

I've run Revolver Shackles now for many years. I like them never had any problems. I keep the proper sized shocks and check everything after I'm done Wheeling. My avatar is my Xj comming down White Knuckle hill in Moab with Revolvers.

Itzak

steinjeep said:
What setup were you running to ramp 1175? What lift, control arms, etc. Just wondering. You are right that it is good to have decent articulation, but too much could make your rig too unstable on climbs etc.

Misc 7.5" lift. RE ZJ coils, RE upper arms, Currie lower arms, lower arms repositioned on both frame and axle, home made over the knuckle steering with track bar over the axle, home made rear springs with 6" shackle, 12" shocks in front and 10" shocks in back. Nothing fancy, but it was highly tuned......and it was not as stable as I wanted.

I ran revlovers for many years they have their good points extra droop etc and their only bad point I ran into you can see in this vid.

During an extreme climb like in this vid the revolvers can roll forward the top section flattens to the frame and then the lower section opens up, causing actually rolling the rear axle forward a tad and they unload

crappy vid but watch closely at the first section and you can see it unload and the front pitch up and back. not a good feeling!

brian on smasher canyon

Revolvers do provide alot of flex but are not worth the negative side effects. I've ran them for a couple years and they will be coming off. They unload fully under acceleration not braking which can be a very unpleasant experiance and I have had one acctually hyperextend while the other was stuffed causing the rear axle to shift sideways binding under the rig. Go with the boomerangs.

Christopher said:
Revolvers do provide alot of flex but are not worth the negative side effects. I've ran them for a couple years and they will be coming off. They unload fully under acceleration not braking which can be a very unpleasant experiance and I have had one acctually hyperextend while the other was stuffed causing the rear axle to shift sideways binding under the rig. Go with the boomerangs.
Although...

It was a lot of fun to watch your shackels move around and do crazy shit when you were going up Doran :)

Back