• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shaving door locks after break in

Dano

NAXJA Member #1269
I had a break in Sunday night and thieves stole my $300 radio. there's how I basicly found my Jeep
lock2.jpg

lock1.jpg

I am thinking about haveing the door locks shaved to keep this from happening again. Plus it might look a little better.
a guy at Macco said $300 per side to shave and get paint close. (which is all that really matters since i have more scratches than a 70's coutch)
He said to go back up the street to carstar get a written estimate and possably turn it into my insurance company, which he said he would Match the estimated price. Of course and then whatever it is over the $600 I get.
so back to carstar tomorrow to get a written estimate and I am heading to the police station in a few minutes to file a police report. If the insurance covers my radio I might just make out ahead on the deal.

Opinions on shaving the door handels?
I have remote entry and hardly ever use my key. Besides the hatch still has a lock on it so I can't get locked out of the Jeep if I have a key.
Suggestions, Comments???

Thanks!!!

Though I already posted this on JU I more or less would take advice from Naxja than JU. although some folks visit / post in both forums, naxja is way better...
:bunny:

If the crooks want your stuff bad enough, they'll do whatever it takes to get at it. I think you're wasting your money on eliminating your door locks and door handles. If they aren't in the door anymore, the crooks will just break your windows.....

Invest in a state of the art security system and get one of those "Tuffy" center consoles that are metal and lock up. They're designed with a cubby for a stereo and has a locking cover. Most crooks wouldn't even try to get into your rig if there isn't a nifty looking stereo in the dash begging to be stolen....

Heck, in all my 14 years in Law Enforcement, the single best anti-theft device that I've seen is the simple blinking red LED light installed at the top of each door panel right at the window. Crooks hate to make noise and having to contend with a car that might have an alarm usually makes them look elsewhere.

So true. Last year I was living in Roxbury, MA (for school) and I don't even lock my doors.... but the thieves didn't bother to check. Just straight for the smash-and-grab.

Actually if anything I would expect shaving to make them want to brake in more. (especially if you were to do handles as well). Mly reasoning is that you'll be making it "trick," and "trick" vehicles have "trick" stuff inside...

And Troy...sure you aren't speaking from 14 years of being a criminal experiance? :D

This doesn't really help your problem, but I wanted to say that I feel your pain. Twice in the past year thieves popped my doorlock to try and get in. The first time they got in and did $2000 damage that thank God State Farm picked up the bill and the second time they didn't get in but they trashed the lock and bent the door and did $500 damage. Once again thanks State Farm. It was the same door both times. I don't know what it is about XJs, but it seems to be really common and I never had this problem before. It really sucks though, it makes you want to kill somebody.

Just saw a cool segment on TrucksTV, where they were shaving door handles, and frenching license plates. From how he did it, it didn't look that hard to do. Then again...they tend to make everything look simple!! :)

GSequoia said:
Actually if anything I would expect shaving to make them want to brake in more. (especially if you were to do handles as well). Mly reasoning is that you'll be making it "trick," and "trick" vehicles have "trick" stuff inside...

And Troy...sure you aren't speaking from 14 years of being a criminal experiance? :D

i would expect people to be like "hey lets break this dumb@sses window for fun because he thinks his shaved stuff is cool"

doesn't this belong in the street performance section or better yet, on JU

Losing the door handles would be a cool mod, I've torn up two in the rocks now!

CRASH

Join the NRA and get a sticker. Stick it to your windows. Theifs (probably) wouldn't dick with anyone in the NRA.

If you do decide to do the shave start checking out the hot rod sites for the right harware and remote to open the doors. Personally I'd rather pay to replace a broken window than a ripped out door lock or door handles. Windows you can do yourself, the other stuff takes a body shop to make it look good IMO...

Do you like em shaved? ;)

It is all matter of opinion. If you like the look of shaved locks and/or handles then go for it. Especially if insurance is picking up the tab. It probably is not going to prevent thievery. But it might confuse a would be thief. Where the hell is the lock?
Dustin

i know how you feel. about a year and a half ago, my stereo was stolen out of my jeep and i had an alarm put on it, and now i just want it off, i don't like it on the jeep. plus my jeep is turning into more of a trail only vehicle. just get a stereo where the face comes off and get in the habit of taking it off. and if u have any other cool stuff like an amp or subs, do your best to hide them. i put my amps under the seat. subs are kinda tough. jsut my .02 cents.
joe

GSequoia said:
That a cupholder in there too?
Cup holder from the plumbing supply house and a door handle from an AMC Eagle.

RichP said:
So when you going to do the back to match ??

The Passenger side is next. The rears may not get the same treatment. I am working on a storage/sleeping area that will replace the rear seat. I plan just to sleep in the back while at the XJ fest in Colo. this August. I have the original doors still. And carry one or the other in the back. Two will get crowded when the passenger door is done, four I doubt will fit.

Back to the tread (sorry about the hijacking) I've not had a problem since the alarm and when I got into the habit of taking the face plate off the head unit. Shaved locks and handles would be cool. but if they want in then they'll just go after the windows. But as was said earlier, windows can be replaced by just about anyone. body damage takes some skills. (don't look too close at my half door, I don't have those kind of skills!)

.02 Daryl

Last edited:
Back