• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to kill your TPS....

Gil BullyKatz

NAXJA Forum User
Easy...

Just add water... much easier when done with hose :twak:

In an attempt to clean up some of the underhood mess due to blow-by, I took a garden hose and sprayed the engine bay... mind you, I've done this hundreds of times before, but I guess I was really lucky.
Heep started shifting erratically and bogging...

$120 for new TPS and good as new (or as usual I should say)

Thanks to previous posters for diagnosis and cure...
too bad the $120 was gonna be used for other mods... :tears:

welcome to my world.... my 89 XJ did that 6 years ago and my current 87 is doing it now.. its sporadic and the idle speed has a mind of its own.. i just need to get out from under the truck and open the hood and fix a few things there too.....

mike

I fried mine the old fashioned way, going through deep water!! But yeah, it doesn't like getting wet I guess. Makes the engine throttle/shift really bad.

tps? just a guess, but is that a throttle position sensor maybe? My00 XJ has a spuradic idle since i did a major wash to the engine bay to see where i was leaking oil...(everywhere)

Don't any of you guys READ THE DIRECTIONS on the motor cleaning cans or the service manual. The part that says "BAG THE FRIGGIN THROTTLE BODY" in a plastic bag BEFORE you wash it [well, not the friggin part anyway]..... For those that take your xj swimming thats a different story...

RichP you've got it all wrong... Directs are meant to be read AFTER you've already completed the job. :jester:

Just wanted to re-edit your response to read:
Hawaiian Style said:
RichP you've got it all wrong... Directs are meant to be read AFTER you've screwed the pooch. :jester:

$120.00; Ooooch! I feel that one. The same thing happened to me while flishing the cooling system with the top radiator hose off. Cost at the stealership? $64.00 including tax.

Sorry man.

Directions? I didn't even read the directions that came with my header...it does make funny noises now though...lol BTW- just kidding about the directions on the header, but i will admit my stupidity with the engine cleaner....

by my understanding, the 87-90 TPSes are much more sensitive to this, perhaps because of extra holes from the adjuster screws? i wash my engine more than i wash my xj, and i've never fried it. i do have a spare just in case, though.

damn, stop driving so much... don't you know they stopped makin these things...lol j/k i have put slightly over 40k on mine in the first year i owned it(i'm now at 85k). SO, back on track... is this true that the newer styles are better with water..? I also wash my engine, i use a brush and some normal soap to wash the underside of my hood, and other various parts of exposed paint, and give the whole engine a good dousing...

I've got my TPS wet before with no ill effects but I also lost a TPS when I did some degreasing when I first purchased it. Not sure if the degreaser was the culprit but at 45 bucks a pop I try and keep it dry now.

Back