• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I fixed my Speedo and it was SO easy

Bronco

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone who is running around with their speedo off has no excuse. I wish someone had told me it was this simple. I would have done it weeks ago. I recently lifted my ride and put on the accompanying 32’s and then replaced my 3.07’s with some 4.01’s, and my speedo was registering warp speeds when is was on the freeway.
All you do is go to http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm and look up the gear you need, march down to the jeep dealer and pick up the gear you need, then you pop it in. it’s almost that easy. It took me no longer then 10 minutes to change. There is only one tricky part. It is not hard just tricky.
First you disconnect the speedo cable/wires (big crescent wrench for the cable type)next undo one bolt that holds a little fork on, next gently wiggle (do not twist) the threads that engage the cables to loosen the gear holder, and pull it out taking careful note of its orientation. Now take the old gear out and count the teeth. Next take note that on the back of the gear holder there are three pairs of numbers with a little index mark by each pair. Each pair is a range. Find the range that the old gear fits in, and find the range that the new gear fits in. if they are the same range then the gear holder goes in the same orientation as it came out. If they are not in the same range than you need to put it in so that the index mark for the new gear’s range is in the same spot that the index mark for the old gear’s rang was in. The fork will only let you put the holder in, in 90 degree increments so there are only four possible positions. Then hook up your cable/wires and the are good to go!
Disclaimer: I did this on an 87 with the older cable style so that is where my experience is, but I understand that it is very similar if you have a newer wired style.

Ok, here's my speedo problem:

Sometimes, it doesn't work at all. It seems here in Va with our wacky weather (one day it's snowing, the next its 85) it's been effecting my speedometer accordingly. Upon start up, the speedo does not register at all, but if you drive for 15 mins, the needle will shoot up and read correctly. For the rest of the day it's fine. The next day, if the weather is drastically different from the day before, same problem, speedo doesnt work until approx 15 mins of driving. I've unplugged the connector to the t-case, made sure there wasn't any dirt or anything, even put some dielectric grease to ensure a decent connection, and it still happens. Any ideas? Thanks (sorry to hi-jack your thread).

Last edited:
SyCo said:
Ok, here's my speedo problem:

What year?

I just replaced the speed sensor on my 92 (electric speedo), clocked it to the right spot and my speedo now works.

I was getting an error code 15 (might have been 51) which meant no signal from speed sensor. It was easy to change, it's on top of the speedo gear in the transfer case, where the wires plug in. Best part is I just grabbed the whole assembly from the junkyard for $3, I didn't even have to swap sensors, just pulled out the whole speedo gear/sensor assembly and put the junkyard one in.

Back