• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a Grand Cherokee 4.0 fit in an MJ?

onetallmj

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking for a good engine to start a stroker project on and saw a 96 Grand Cherokee engine, 4.0 for sale. Are there any major differences that would prevent me from using my 88 Renix system on this engine? I would just be using the block, maybe the head.

thanks

Wade

The ports on the head are higher on the '96. It's the same as a '96 XJ engine, but the head is different from an '88 4.0L. It's supposed to be possible to adapt the older manifold to the newer head, but the ports will probably never really line up correctly. I'd be inclined to swap the heads, if yours is in usable condition.

The lower end is essentially the same. You may have to drill and tap the boss on the lower block for the knock sensor -- the '96 doesn't have one, but the boss should still be in the casting.

It is possible I believe. I'm just getting done swapping a 4.0 from a '96 Cherokee into my '89 and if you mix and match parts you can keep the intake manifold from the '96. You will need a fuel rail and lines from a '91-'95 4.0 HO. Swap all your accessories onto the the new block. You will need to use the '96 style power steering brackets which will need to be spaced about 3mm from the intake manifold to make the belt track correctly. I ended up needing to swap to an electric fan instead of the mechanical because of the way I ended up routing the serpentine belt. It takes alot of little things to make it work but I should be finding out if it's worth it soon.

The block is basically the same. '96 and newer is a better block, there were a few areas that were reinforced. It also has a dual pattern cam for more low end power, if you plan on keeping the old cam...

Back