• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tube doors (quick question

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I am finally doorless on the XJ and I am gonna make some tube doors.
Do I need to use DOM or can I use HREW? or any other type of tube?
Thanks.
DIG IT!!!

the b-pillar is so damn flimsy (if you ever cut on out, you'll see exactly how flimsy) that if a good amount of pressure is placed on the tubes, I'm betting the b-pillar will tweak before the tubes will.....

in which case, hrew or dom would be fine.....your choice.....

considering the strength of the rest of the unit, I think it would be pretty hard to argue that you NEED dom......

BTW.....

If any of you ever have a problem with seams splitting when the tube bends, you have a problem with your vendor moreso than the tube....

rule of thumb while bending tube, is to keep the weld seam in the neutral plane....this is for bending CONSISTANCY.....moreso than it is for tubing failure

on a straight tube that you expect to get bent a certain way, same holds true, so in the case of a tube-door, it would be best to keep the seam either pointed up or down, not inside........it shouldn't matter though, one should be able to bend a tube without seam splits.

if it does, your tubing mill sucks.

Back