• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Help Fast

cherokee89

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of installing a new ignition switch, but I cannot seem to get the switch in place with the rod attached. The rod end looks like it wants to point straight up and down, and not to the right like it should. I can get the rod in the hole, but then I cannot get the switch to sit on the column properly. If I mount the switch first, I cannot get the rod to get into the hole. I have played with the different key positions, and it still seems to be too long, and not pointing in the right direction. I just removed the old switch this morning, and it is exactly the same as the new one. What could I be missing? This is a real PITA. Thanks. :flamemad:

Two position requirements (from memory) are tranny in Park if auto, and tilt column either full up or straight....full up I think was what I read. Sorry I don't know more- just worked on the other side of the column (multi-function switch).
Here's a link that covers the years with a GM steering column- includes information on replacing the lock cylinder, not just switches:
http://members.rogers.com/techhead/documents/steering_column_switches.pdf
There is also a web site by GM car guys with full rebuild details for the GM colum, but my link doesn't work- a google search for +GM +column should find it.
Can't see your post from the 'reply' screen- did you tell us what year XJ?

Thanks. I am going to check that out now. We finally got the switch into position, but we really had to push it hard. In doing so, it moved the key/lock out of the off position. Now the ignition switch is where it should be, but I cannot turn the key and the rod won't slide. Too bad I can't use the BFH because I really want to.

Back