• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shimmy's back

family XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I got wheel shimmy again. Spec's are 4.5" lift trackbar bracket adjustable upper and lower control arms and 33" Swampers. It showed up when I put the 33's on, I had 31's and it was starting. Anyhow I just did the self alignment and it is less than 1/8" toe. The shimmy starts at 30-35 and stops around 50-55. It is really bad. What I did before was set the toe out in the front and it went away for a while but it is back. I am thinking like eagle has said so many times before balance but I just had them rebalanced. I checked all the joints and every single nut is tight. Any other suggestions. Thanks DuG

have them recheck the balance, either that or tire out of round is the most likely reson for shimmy with speed changes.

In my 40+ years of driving, I've seen a lot of tires that have a pull to one side because of uneven belts in manufacture. If you take than, couple it with shocks that are either worn out or not matched to the harmonics of the suspension, you end up with shimmy. If there is any out of balance to the tires, it just makes it worse. Try taking it to a place that does on the car spin balance.

Steering stalilizer? It helped get the shimmy out of the fater-in-laws. and no I it's not a type-o!

Well I went and started to look at things a little closer, come to find out I have a broken Adjustable UCA. This thing hasn't even been offroad yet with the new CA's. I still don't think that this is the reason for all the shimmy but it's a start. I am gonna take it off tomorrow and get my buddy to either weld it or fab me up a new one. Thank god I work somehwere that I can take off almost whenever I need to. Otherwise the wife would be missing school. Thanks for input and if this is the fix I'll let you all know. Thanks again though

I was got tires put on my mom's car a couple weeks ago at a local place. As soon as we hit the highway (75 mph) there were vibes. So i took the tires back and told them about it, and asked if they could spin them faster on the balancer. Turns out that their normal practice was only to run them up to about 50mph. I asked them to put them up to 80, they did it and all the vibes disappeared. I don't know what your tire place did, but maybe you could take your tires and have them balanced to a higher rpm. I dunno if this applies to your 30-55 mph range, but i guess it could. HTH.

Back