• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crank pulley Question

w_howey

NAXJA Forum User
I took a look at the crank pulley on my 88 4.0L and the rubber ring in sandwhiched in there is starting to come out.
What does it do?
Right now it is hitting on the corner of the fan and making an irritating noise. Other than that I can't see any damage. I am wondering if it is part of a vibration dampining system or what?

Yea thats part of the dampening. Also you need to repace the Harmonic Balancer ASAP because it will come apart I know from this happining to mine it wasted 2 serp belts before I found the problem :bawl:

Replace it asap, it can do alot of damage when it lets go not to mention stranding you somewhere. You "KNOW" it's gonna go in the middle of the nite in a torrential downpour in a cell phone dead area. I would do the belt also, if it's been running like that for a while it will have done no good to the belt....

Rich P:

My crank pulley looks a little off-center. Is it hard to replace the harmonic balancer? Do you have to pull much off the motor? Remove the radiator or other major components? Does the crank turn when you losen the bolts? Please advise as I drive 1000 mi/week and don't need to get stranded. Thanks in advance.

XJ Danny
'90 Laredo
208K mi

Depends how well it's on there. Do a search and you will find a step by step on removal and installation from a while back. Alot of times they slide towards the timing chain cover and start eating thru it. On the 97+ you use a 4 bolt puller, three bolts go into the pulley and the fourth center bolt pulls it off. Fairly straight forward unless it has slid to the rear and damaged the oil seal, then it's alot more work.

Are the pulley/balancer a one piece assembly? I can't seem to find a pulley listed in any of the online parts catalogs but they all have balancer assemblies.

yes, it's one piece. About $70 or so IIRC...

Make sure to pull the thick washer off the front of the pully......Mine was stuck on the front of the pully and I couldn't tell....it gives the puller (that you will need to rent)a hard time.

Also the puller that I rented didn't include the right size bolts, so when you rent one you might need some extra bolts. Sorry, don't remember the size.

I have a puller already, I'm just wondering if the forcing screw will fit between the radiator and the front of the motor or not.

BTW, I found the assembly over at RockAuto.com for about 39 bucks. I had forgotten about them. The parts are good, but their customer service is just plain bad, bad, bad. And they have some funny shipping policies.

Autozone lists them for 89 dollars, and Napa listed them for 46 dollars.

Kinda of a large variation in prices.

w_howey said:
Are the pulley/balancer a one piece assembly? I can't seem to find a pulley listed in any of the online parts catalogs but they all have balancer assemblies.

Crank pulley and harmonic balancer are the same beast. go with it !

Just changed the one on my 90 4.0 a few minutes ago. Just take all the tension off the serp belt, pull it from around the harmonic balancer,remove the bolt that holds the balancer on,put the puller on ,the bolt that put pressure on the crank just fit's. Pull the balancer off , put some oil on the part that go into the seal also inside the pully, tap into place very gently, I used a thin washer with the bolt to pull the balancer on until I could . use the thick washer that is the factory. reinstall the serp belt and you are done. :eyes:

I got it from NAPA today. It was 52.something with tax. It doesn't look hard to do. Thanks for the info guys.

You can get a puller and installer (works slick) from AZ for nominal rental fees I used both as mine was ON THERE!! I did take the bumper off to make it easier also helped me decide to replace the bumper and fab a unibody support for the front end.

Back