• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got a problem

jmaxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 cherokee and it starts fine but most of the time not all when you take it out of gear or press the brake to stop or slow down it dies and sometimes won't start back up for a couple hours, i've ran out of ideas hopefully someone may know something that might cause that

thanks in advance

BTW:it's a 4.0 non HO

When you say it won't start, do you mean it won't turn over? Or perhaps it turns over but dies right out?
If it dies right out, my first guess would be either the ballast resitor (located on the drivers fender in the engine compartment) or a fuel pump/pressure problem.

Matthew Currie said:
I don't think an 87 has a ballast resistor. I'd still look at fuel pressure, though, and also at vacuum leaks, or bad booster, if the engine stalls specifically when you push the brake pedal.

well that's the thing it's not always when you push the break pedal and as for the vaccuum i have replaced every line under the hood

Take a close look at the EGR valve. My 87 would stall when slowing for corners, sometimes at stop lights. The piston would stick in the open positon. It would usually run somewhat OK at higher RPM´s. Have also heard of torn diaphrams, causing low vacume.
Had a crack in the bottom of my fuel regulator vacume line, caused it to cut out sometimes.
Had a loose electrical connector for my MAP. That would stop it in it´s tracks on occasion.
Have also heard, on numerous occasions, of the vacume line to the MAP. breaking off and/or being plugged into the wrong side of the throttle body plug for the MAP. One side of the rubber plug is a blind opening.
A few things to check out.
I usually make a fuel pressure test, as a first test. Eliminates fuel related items. Vacume second and electrical/sensor third.

8Mud said:
Take a close look at the EGR valve. My 87 would stall when slowing for corners, sometimes at stop lights. The piston would stick in the open positon. It would usually run somewhat OK at higher RPM´s. Have also heard of torn diaphrams, causing low vacume.
Had a crack in the bottom of my fuel regulator vacume line, caused it to cut out sometimes.
Had a loose electrical connector for my MAP. That would stop it in it´s tracks on occasion.
Have also heard, on numerous occasions, of the vacume line to the MAP. breaking off and/or being plugged into the wrong side of the throttle body plug for the MAP. One side of the rubber plug is a blind opening.
A few things to check out.
I usually make a fuel pressure test, as a first test. Eliminates fuel related items. Vacume second and electrical/sensor third.

k i'll try those and see what happens thanks

Back