• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U Joint strap bolts

BlueMJ

NAXJA Forum User
2 bolts are starting to round off , I cant fit a socket on them nor can I get a decent bite with an open end or box end wrench.

They weren't this much of a PITA when I did the U-joints 18 mos ago and I even anti-siezed them too.

Suggestions?

Too long and frustrating of a day for me to think rationally about this small problem...

Vice-Grips.

And don't replace with straps, use u-bolts. If this is a rear D35 or D44 there should be a large enough flat area for the nuts to seat flat. Unfortunately, if it's the front axle I don' think there's a large enough flat area to convert.

I have yet to see any evidence that u-bolts are stronger than straps. I've seen both fail under wheeling conditions. Straps are strong enough to do the job as long as you don't re-use them. Straps are a one time use item. If you ever remove them for any reason both the strap and the bolts must be replaced with new.

Hm, I didn't know that straps shouldn't be re-used....I've had mine off numerous times for trans work that needed the drive shaft dropped and to replace the Ujoints....mebe I'll get a new set

If I can get these out, that is ...lol

When you torque those straps down they stretch, same as the spring U bolts. That said I have resused them with no problems but that was on a S10. It got very little heavy use and generally only saw rough times when it was down a Ft Dix for a drill weekend and used to haul weapons, racks and ammo between firing ranges. The one time I used it to move two pallets of 155 HE and illums between firing points I ended up replacing the rear universal and straps within a couple of days but I think that was from all the slipping and spinning I did in the sand where the guns were located. We had so much trouble with the old Dodge M880's towards the end that we would take advantage of any member who had a pickup truck or 4x4...

have yet to see any evidence that u-bolts are stronger than straps

I've seen straps give up pulliung away (slowly) from a stop sign (with an auto so no one dumped the clutch or anything). Not saying they were in perfect condition before that because I don't know......but the only place I've ever seen a ubolt go is on the trail.

Got em off....lifted the rear tires, spun the shaft so the bolts were accessible...the liquid wrench did its job overnight I guess...one bolt came out easy, the other is trashed tho.....

Thanks to all who chimed in...especially those who enlightened me about replacing the straps, I'm gonna pick up a few sets tomorrow...having a couple spares lying around couldn't hurt.

I was just in too bad of a mood to mess with stubborn bolts last night.

Back