• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I've studied, so now give me a failing grade

Dirk Funk

NAXJA Forum User
This is another one of those stupid freakin exhaust threads we have way to many of. But at least I have specific questions.

When I was searching, it appears no one can find a better than stock downtube from header to cat. Options found: exhaust shop bend one, or a Banks TJ that can be cut. Anyone know where to find this TJ one?

Dynomax Super Turbo best price found: $121.88. If you know better please point me to it.

O2 sensor since catco cat is going in: only go with factory or Bosch is alright?

I'd give myself a C for average bullsh*t question.

I have the Bosch O2 sensor in my 91 XJ. I think it came from NAPA. I have not had a problem with it since I put it on 2 years ago and 15k miles.

Doesnt the Borla header go from the head all the way back to the cat? I have a Banks header and plan on having a shop bend me a new down pipe when I get the time to have it done.

AARON

When I went with a header, my local muffler shop did a complete new exhaust for me, including high flow cat and magnaflow muffler. The total was around $425. That tells me that your $120 for just a bent tube is a bit high. Check out another muffler shop.

old_man said:
When I went with a header, my local muffler shop did a complete new exhaust for me, including high flow cat and magnaflow muffler. The total was around $425. That tells me that your $120 for just a bent tube is a bit high. Check out another muffler shop.

425? Ouch! I purchased a high flow carsound cat and Magnaflow muff online instead and handed them to the muffler shop for installation. Total cost including the cat and muffler after installation and downpipe bend was $220.

Dirk Funk said:
When I was searching, it appears no one can find a better than stock downtube from header to cat. Options found: exhaust shop bend one, or a Banks TJ that can be cut. Anyone know where to find this TJ one?
It looks like from the Banks website, www.bankspower.com, you can order the TJ downtube direct and talk to a knowledgeable salesperson, too. Here's the info:
Gale Banks Engineering
Toll free 800.601.8072
Monday-Friday, 6am-6pm (PST)
Fax: 626.334.1743
[email protected]

The problem I ran into is that although I could get the parts cheaper online, no local shop would install them unless they ordered the parts themselves. Or if they would install them, there would be no warranty since they weren't "their" parts. I had a performance place finally bend me a new down pipe and put on a high flow cat for under $300, but at least he did a good job. Better than the place that put on my header, which started leaking after about 3 months. If you know someone you trust to do the work or can do it yourself that's the way to go, whether you decide to have one made or get the TJ one cut to fit.

thanks Planetcat, I think I was too tired to follow that lead myself. I was also looking through my RE catalogue and saw they have one for a YJ, although its probably the same pipe.

As long as I don't have to remove the header, this should be a very simple install. Screw those exhaust shops. Man, even if I couldn't do it, I know I'd still try.

Thanks everyone.

Back