• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a New Clutch .. Centerforce or ???

SnowyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well.. The clutch that's in the my baby started out life in a small suburban town where it was used to go to church every sunday.. It lead a very long and endearing life, but as of 2p.m. yesterday after, the clutch and it's plate and it's springs all parted.. parted very noisily I may add....

So.. now that the obituary is all done up, I'm wondering if any of you guys have used the centerforce clutches and which ones and how well they hold up.. I used my jeep for very hard work (towing a 3500# trailer quite frequently) and I know that the clutch does take a beating, and honestly.. I'd like to replace it with something that will last longer than 100,000 miles of abuse.. I've heard mixed results on Sachs and Borg Warner Clutches.. I heard that LUK makes a clutch kit for the 89 Cherokee with puegot 5 speed shitbox, but I've also heard it increases pedal pressure due to extra heavy duty pressure plate.. One way or the other I'm wondering what you guys have used, and also.. I'm wondering if anyone knows the cheapest place to pick up a centerforce dual friction.. Let me know.. thanks in advance guys..

Bill

SnowyXJ said:
Well.. The clutch that's in the my baby started out life in a small suburban town where it was used to go to church every sunday.. It lead a very long and endearing life, but as of 2p.m. yesterday after, the clutch and it's plate and it's springs all parted.. parted very noisily I may add....

So.. now that the obituary is all done up, I'm wondering if any of you guys have used the centerforce clutches and which ones and how well they hold up.. I used my jeep for very hard work (towing a 3500# trailer quite frequently) and I know that the clutch does take a beating, and honestly.. I'd like to replace it with something that will last longer than 100,000 miles of abuse.. I've heard mixed results on Sachs and Borg Warner Clutches.. I heard that LUK makes a clutch kit for the 89 Cherokee with puegot 5 speed shitbox, but I've also heard it increases pedal pressure due to extra heavy duty pressure plate.. One way or the other I'm wondering what you guys have used, and also.. I'm wondering if anyone knows the cheapest place to pick up a centerforce dual friction.. Let me know.. thanks in advance guys..

Bill

I installed a LUK Pro-Gold in my AX-15 a few months back, I like it alot. Best price I've found was either www.dialaclutch.com or www.carolinaclutch.com. I've heard the clutch horror stories too regarding different clutch manufacturers, but from what I gather LUK is supposedly OEM (my original clutch disc read "sachs" or something like that on it, I'm guessing it's German? LUK is also german...). The pressure was a little stiffer, but after a week I got used to it and it feels fine to me. If you're worried about pedal pressure I would say stay away from the Centerforce Dual Friction, I drove a Mustang Cobra with one of those and I thought I was going to have to use two feet to get the damn pedal down. It might be different on XJs though so hopefully someone else will chime in...

the heavy pedal pressure wouldn't really bother me.. My father and I .. the two main drivers of the white cherokee... we both drive truck for a living so we're used to the heavy pedal pressure.. I don't think it should be that bad though.. not with only a 10.5 inch clutch plate..

who knows..

Thanks for the concern though.. I was kinda trying to catch peoples opinions also..

Bill

SyCo said:
I installed a LUK Pro-Gold in my AX-15 a few months back, I like it alot. Best price I've found was either www.dialaclutch.com or www.carolinaclutch.com. I've heard the clutch horror stories too regarding different clutch manufacturers, but from what I gather LUK is supposedly OEM (my original clutch disc read "sachs" or something like that on it, I'm guessing it's German? LUK is also german...). The pressure was a little stiffer, but after a week I got used to it and it feels fine to me. If you're worried about pedal pressure I would say stay away from the Centerforce Dual Friction, I drove a Mustang Cobra with one of those and I thought I was going to have to use two feet to get the damn pedal down. It might be different on XJs though so hopefully someone else will chime in...

I am using the dual friction one on mine and the pedal is softer then the stock one, like i said, i would highly recommed it for towing and stuff.

ravi

I/ve had ceterforce II's in both of my XJs. The pedal pressure is no different than stock as centerforce uses counterweights on the pressure plate to account for the stronger forces. Both have lasted well. My last jeep had over 75k on the clutch and was still going strong when I sold it...

I had a Centerforce in a frequently-'wheeled rig one time. It had great clamping power, but you could not slip it - it was either enguaged or not.
Not sure if that helps you or not but it's my $0.02 :)

You can't beat OEM for quality.

CRASH

Back