• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-5 Tranny lube question.

RINGKONG

NAXJA Forum User
what lube goes in the t-5 tranny in my 84 cherokee?

I thought it was gl5 80-90w gear oil(i dont have a owners manual and Haynes says to use gear oil.)

but now I am not so sure, I have gear whine, every thing shifts nice and stays in gear, but man I get gear whine. I searched Google after I couldn't find anything here and it seems every other vehicle on the planet that uses the t5 from s-10's to mustangs.. use atf? should I try that? or is gear whine normal?

thanks for the help.

HMMM..maybe I answered this ...

I don't have the "world class" t5 so I get to use gear oil.

what world class is, I have no clue...

Ok Now I am really confused.. I looked this up in my AllData Account this is a technical service buletin.

what is this lube they are talking about? is this ATF or gear oil?

Manual Transmission Lubricant - Application
OCTOBER 1983 000 071
CHEROKEE WAGONEER (70 SERIES)
1E
MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Attention: Workshop, Parts Department.
LUBRICANT

1984 MANUAL TRANSMISSION LUBRICANTS

Information

This I.S. Note amends the General Specifications - Lubricants - Liquids - Fuel Grades - Capacities section of the M.R. 244 manual.

The T4 and T5 manual transmissions require AMC/Jeep/Renault transmission lubricant, part number 89 83 000 000. This is the only lubricant to be used in the T4 and T5 transmissions.

The AX4 and AX5 transmissions require AMC/Jeep/Renault gear lubricant, part number 89 82 200 046, or an equivalent SAE 75W-90, API Grade GI-5 gear lubricant.

Filing Instructions

Make a note of the lubricant change on pages A-8 and A-9 and file this I.S. Note in the plastic binder supplied with your M.R. 244 manual.

theMJ6000 said:
I got your back.

Use ATF Dexton II or III. They changed the fluid recommendations a couple of times on the T-5 in the 80's. I have the T-4. If you look at a later publication, it is auto fluid for aluminum cases.

Here is a linky http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/...Old=allposts&Main=22190&Search=true#Post22274

Thanks alot! I will try the ATF. but first I have to replace the darn hydrolic line from the master cylinder, I burned a hole thru it on the exhaust manifold. Nothing sends fear through your heart like a big billowing cloud of white smoke exiting your hood, while driving down the interstate.. :D

Ditto on the previous reply. Dexron II or III. The following is pasted from a search for "T5 transmission" and then "tranny lubricant" on cj-8.com. Long thread that I can't seem to capture a URL for....

My T5 is in pieces on the garage floor with 3 bottles of Dexron III nearby.

Oh Boy! The nightmares are returning...

Back in '86, I removed my crippled T4 (filled with 80/90w gear oil) and replaced it with a T5 from an '85 CJ7 (filled with ATF). Both my '81 FSM and an '85 FSM said 80/90w gear oil, but then again my '84 Z/28 w/T5 used ATF. I called a few shops, 1 said ATF, 2 said 80/90w, and the last one (who professed to having rebuilt more than 30 T5's) said it calls for ATF, but if I wanted it to shift smoothly AND last a while, to put a high quality 5/30w "detergent" motor oil in it. That was the last straw!

I called the gear division of Borg-Warner and told one of the engineers the same story written in the paragraph above. He told me that in late 1981, B/W started recommending ATF over the 80/90w gear oil to help the tranny shift smoother (due to customers complaining of "notchy" shifting), especially when it was cold. They found that the "heat-dissipation properties" of ATF were almost as good as the "thicker" 80/90w gear oil, and would be plenty for the aluminum-case'd T4-T5 since Aluminum retains less heat than Cast Iron. ATF also absorbed less moisture and was thin enough to provide an overall improvement in shifting (ie..smoother). Plus, since it coated metal surfaces more quickly during cold startup, it resulted in a minimal (though measurable) decrease in the type of wear normally caused during the first few minutes of operation.

Ok, this guy sounded pretty sure of himself so I've been running ATF in my T5 (yes, that same one I installed back in '86) ever since. No problems yet. (add the sound of wood being knocked on here)

HTH

Nick

2001 Camaro SS M6. Onyx Black/Ebony Leather
Dynojet #'s - 334rwhp/356rwtq

kevin s said:
Ditto on the previous reply. Dexron II or III. The following is pasted from a search for "T5 transmission" and then "tranny lubricant" on cj-8.com. Long thread that I can't seem to capture a URL for....

My T5 is in pieces on the garage floor with 3 bottles of Dexron III nearby.

Oh Boy! The nightmares are returning...

Back in '86, I removed my crippled T4 (filled with 80/90w gear oil) and replaced it with a T5 from an '85 CJ7 (filled with ATF). Both my '81 FSM and an '85 FSM said 80/90w gear oil, but then again my '84 Z/28 w/T5 used ATF. I called a few shops, 1 said ATF, 2 said 80/90w, and the last one (who professed to having rebuilt more than 30 T5's) said it calls for ATF, but if I wanted it to shift smoothly AND last a while, to put a high quality 5/30w "detergent" motor oil in it. That was the last straw!

I called the gear division of Borg-Warner and told one of the engineers the same story written in the paragraph above. He told me that in late 1981, B/W started recommending ATF over the 80/90w gear oil to help the tranny shift smoother (due to customers complaining of "notchy" shifting), especially when it was cold. They found that the "heat-dissipation properties" of ATF were almost as good as the "thicker" 80/90w gear oil, and would be plenty for the aluminum-case'd T4-T5 since Aluminum retains less heat than Cast Iron. ATF also absorbed less moisture and was thin enough to provide an overall improvement in shifting (ie..smoother). Plus, since it coated metal surfaces more quickly during cold startup, it resulted in a minimal (though measurable) decrease in the type of wear normally caused during the first few minutes of operation.

Ok, this guy sounded pretty sure of himself so I've been running ATF in my T5 (yes, that same one I installed back in '86) ever since. No problems yet. (add the sound of wood being knocked on here)

HTH

Nick

2001 Camaro SS M6. Onyx Black/Ebony Leather
Dynojet #'s - 334rwhp/356rwtq

thanks! you are a search guru... :D

Back