• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ/WJ Seats in an XJ?

verrive

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,
I was curious, anyone have ZJ/WJ seats in an XJ? My current leather seats are starting to get shot. How hard would it be to convert them to XJ seats? :p

Thanks,
Kevin

verrive said:
Hey,
I was curious, anyone have ZJ/WJ seats in an XJ? My current leather seats are starting to get shot. How hard would it be to convert them to XJ seats? :p

Thanks,
Kevin

that would actually be a nice upgrade... to have some nice luxury leather ZJ/WJ seats in an XJ!

Several years ago a guy from NH came to a couple of NAC events with ZJ seats in an '89 XJ. He mentioned that he had to do some adapting to mount the ZJ seats on the XJ pedestals, but I didn't get the impression it was a major adaptation.

I put ZJ power buckets from a 96 Laredo in my 96. The install wasn't that pretty, but you really can't see the brackets I made to adapt them. Now that I have access to a welder I'll make them more OE looking. You have to push the driver's side of the tranny tunnel in a bit, but not too much as the t-case will rub. Pass. side is easier. Since I wanted more front leg room I drilled new holes and used 1/8"x2" flat stock as backing plates. The setup works quite well, and the power seat functions are great.

--Matt

egon said:
I put ZJ power buckets from a 96 Laredo in my 96. The install wasn't that pretty, but you really can't see the brackets I made to adapt them. Now that I have access to a welder I'll make them more OE looking. You have to push the driver's side of the tranny tunnel in a bit, but not too much as the t-case will rub. Pass. side is easier. Since I wanted more front leg room I drilled new holes and used 1/8"x2" flat stock as backing plates. The setup works quite well, and the power seat functions are great.

--Matt

Was it required to push in the tranny tunnel or just something that made it fit better? I'm not sure how fond of that I would be. I have enough problems with my XJ without creating more by doing that and accidently messing it up :p

- Kevin

Edit: How did you manage to wire it up, or do they have the same connectors?

Kevin

It was required, as the ZJ seats are more bulky at the base then the XJ seats. I didn't have to do much, just a bit of reshaping to the tunnel with a hammer, a 1/4 to 3/4 inwards in a few places so the seats fit lower in the cab. Just keep looking underneither as you reshape things.

For power, I took the factory connectors from the ZJ and made a new circuit with an inline fuse just for the seats.

It was worth the trouble, the seats are quite comforable, and my back doesn't hate me anymore after long drives.

--Matt

verrive said:
Was it required to push in the tranny tunnel or just something that made it fit better? I'm not sure how fond of that I would be. I have enough problems with my XJ without creating more by doing that and accidently messing it up :p

- Kevin

Edit: How did you manage to wire it up, or do they have the same connectors?

Yep and they came that way from the factory along with rear head rests ;)

Must be an Aussie XJ thing :)

--Matt

Gojeep said:
Yep and they came that way from the factory along with rear head rests ;)

Back