• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's with Dana 35

XJBill

NAXJA Forum User
What do you guys think about runnin' 33" tires on a D35 C-clip with a Lock Right locker? Will I break alot of shafts or am I relatively safe. I am prepared to break one a year but do you think it will happen more often? I am currently running this setup without the locker and haven't broken yet. I live in PA so the terrain is mostly mud, rocky creek beds, and hill climbs. So, what do you think?

I'd be very careful.

I run Paragon with 33" and a Dana 35 with ARB. I haven't broken one yet but I know the day will come. I do drive more careful and don't try to horse it up anything for that point. But I will live. I have been running that set up for over 3 years now without problems. But just drive careful and watch your spotter, don't drive like you stole it and it will live. Juice

it's gonna depend greatly on the terrain and how heavy your right foot is.

i wheeled my MJ with 33s on the D35 on Fordyce trail (like Rubicon) and was stupid on the gas pedal. key word: stupid. I didn't break, but I had an open diff and I'm sure that's what saved me. I did carry spare shafts though, and it was an '88, so no need to mess with c-clips.

I actually have a quicktime video from Fordyce that for a frame or two all 4 of my tires are in the air from using too much stupid pedal to get over some boulders :D

It has everything to do with the terain and your driving style......and fatigue over time. Get that rear end in a bind, between rocks or up against a ledge, and it can snap like a tooth pick.....seen it many times. Obviously, it will last longer in mud than it will on dry rock, just be careful and always carry spares.

No I dont necessarly agrre with all these guys! But I do love the skinny one! if my foot isnt in the TB I aint driving! I broke a D35 shaft last year at the Crawfords Camp rock guarden. W/33's 3.73 gears and a 4 poper. And yes I was hard on it!

If you have an automatic it will last alot longer also.

I broke my YJ's D35 with 32" MT/R's and a LockRight trying ot get up a sand dune...too much right foot.

Ask Skorpyo about his D35 at Paragon last year...

Thanks for the reply's!

To answer a few questions, I have stock 3.55 gears and a 4.0 with auto trans. I never bothered regearing because the 33's didn't make alot of differance in power. I take it easy on rocks, but get on it in mud. I carried spares with me even before the locker was in.

Wow , snapped with on 32s on a sand dune. I have a YJ with 33s and have been out to Glamis afew times and never thought to carry spare shafts on the sand dunes, now I know. You should be carefull with a locker and 33s on your D35, but a whole lot of people do it. It will work, just not very well. My advice is to do it temporarly until you have the flow to get a new axle under there.

Diablito said:
You should be carefull with a locker and 33s on your D35, but a whole lot of people do it. It will work, just not very well. My advice is to do it temporarly until you have the flow to get a new axle under there.

That was my plan. Next year I'm going to swap in a D44 and put 35's on it.

my buddie has a tj w/ a dana 35 c-clip axle and 35 bfg's and limited slip locker. he beats this thing pretty good and never snapped a shaft. like yesterday, it just amazes me that his dana 35 can hold up to the 35" tires, but i think it is a matter of time.

Back