• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Funky Electrical Problem

cherokee89

NAXJA Forum User
Hello All. I have been having a strange problem occasionally. My radio, heater controls, and blinkers stop working all of a sudden. This has only happened a few seconds after start-up, or immediately at start-up. I have checked the fuses, and they all look good. I am figuring a major power source is getting interrupted, but I don't know where to look. Any ideas? FWIW, I did upgrade my grounding strap to 0/2 AWG a number of months ago, so I think that can't be a cause. Any assistance would be much appreciated. Oh, this has not happened at night, so I don't know if all of the dash lights go out, but I am guessing they do.

I just came in from effing around with my heap for a few hours. This must be the ignition switch. Thanks for your help. After reading a few other threads, it looks like a fairly simple and inexpensive fix. That is good, because I realized it was fawked after I installed a new alt. and charging my AC. I love this Jeep, but the sh1t never ends. :passgas:

So, I pulled the ignition switch this morning. Looks like it damn near caught fire at one terminal. The large plug that is on the lower end is a little melted. Is the switch a dealer only part, or can I just run to an auto parts store? Also, do you guys think I should/can replace the plug that is kind of melted? Thanks.

Hi Cherokee89, I replaced my igintion switch about 6 months ago. I got it from autozone for around 25 bucks, I think. Mine was the same way, the ground terminal stripe was almost melted through the plastic housing. On your question with the melted plug, mine was a little melted but seated back into the new assembly just fine, just make sure there are no bare wires. If there are you should fix them with some heatshrink or try to cut off the bad part and reconnect it. If your not an electrical kind of guy have someone with a little bit of experience in that area take a look at it.

I have a 95 Cherokke Sport.

Alex

Back