• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need a D44 in Southern California NOW!

Steve88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Seems like my rear u joint and yoke tabs didn't take kindly to my stroker and 33s...

I need a D44 ASAP to throw in there. Its hard enough to find a yoke in my area, I'd rather just take that crap D35 out and put in a D44 so I don't have to worry anymore.

If anyone knows where I can get one or has one--- please email me at [email protected]

I'll drive just abuot anywhere in southern california to get it, I'm available to go get it this sunday, or next weekend.

Thanks!!!!

I've seen that before. A good friend blew his D35 4.56 ring and pinion within a few weeks after his stroker motor went in.......on the street. He didn't fix it, just put in a D44.

I know this will be said, so I'll say it now. An 8.8 out of a '95 and later Explorer is also a good choice, and will nearly bolt right in. It's 31 spline, the right bolt pattern, has disc brakes, and aren't hard to find in junk yards.

I MAY end up doing that if I can't find a D44

I'm happy with the gearing, believe it or not... 3.55s, 33s, and a stroker is actually a nice combo.

I'd have to re-gear the front with an 8.8, but 4.11s would be nice too!

you gotta contact the guy listing it on the thread. I am just a gear guy here in socal. trying to help you out...

$1300 is a good deal for both axles with gears and a detroit in the rear...

try ecology auto parts in santa fe springs (maybe norwalk?). 1 in five times i go there they have one. it won't have any bling on it, but i got one there fore $130.
hope this helps,
dan f.

The XJ D30, D35, and D44 all have the same 26 spline (strap-type) pinion yoke and Spicer 1310-size U-Joint.

There is a U-bolt style 1310 yoke available (unknown Spicer #) or I've heard of people modding the strap yoke to use U-bolts. Prime time to do a new yoke would be while regearing, so as not to disturb the torque on an existing setup...

The trick is to keep the yokes and driveshafts off the rocks :D

converting a D44 strap type yoke to a ubolt type yoke is about a 15 min task. since the D44 uses shims rather than a crush collar to preload the pinion bearings. the only thing you need to replace besides the yoke is the nut although you should have an impact gun handy to loosen that tighten the pinion nut.

just get a trail repair kit...

Back