• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Cat Back Install

thewrath

NAXJA Forum User
Im am looking on getting a cat back system shortly and have been looking at my options. I have come to the conclusion that the Flowmaster 40 series is going to be too loud and drone too much on the highway (2750+ RPM, I Drive fast). I am seriously considering Rusty's cat back system with the 50 series, but am wondering that by saving money over other options i will be screwing myself over during the install. I dont really have a shop or a garage or even alot of tools. THis will be a parking lot install, and i want it to go as smoothly as possible. So basically i am asking what you all have experianced with Rusty's cat back kits, how easy are they to put on, and how many have you had to resort to using a hacksaw or doing any welding.

Also, i have read about Borla comming out with a kit for the newer (97-01) XJs that use a flange at the cat, and am wondering if i should look into the Borla or Gibson setup.

Final questions is regards to installing a cat back with a reciever hitch. I had read on Gibsons website that their kit is not compatable with a trailer hitch, why would this be, and could it be easily overcome by bending a hanger or something.

thanks for all you expertise and experiance in advance
-mike

I cant say anything about the rusty's, but I run the Borla. It was a simple 15 minute install in the driveway. Although it is not as good a skid plate as the Flowmaster, it holds up to the abuse I give it. Sounds good and has one hellofa warranty.

I'm running Rusty's cat back system with the 50 series Flowmaster muffler on my '88. I did this when I installed my new motor two years ago, I also installed a Borla header at the same time. Rusty's cat back sys worked good as far as prefabed kits go. I cut off the hangers that were welded to the pipe and welded on larger hangers. It was tight between the leaf springs and the gas tank, it took me a couple tries to get the correct clearence. Once I got it all to fit I tack welded everything then pulled it out and welded the joints. The 50 series muffler is a little loud, but the performance is excellent as is the Borla header. My cat is gutted so it is louder than one with a operating cat. I would lengthen the tail-pipe so it just clears the rear bumper, Rusty's kit stops short to protect the tailpipe. I would rather have the piece of mind that I'm not pumping exhaust fumes into the cargo area (my dogs ride back there) on my XJ than a dent free tail-pipe. I would buy the same sys. again if I had to do it over again, good value for the money spent. Good Luck

Woody

im looking for install info on newer model XJ's as mine is a 2000. also looking to avoid anything like rewelding the hangers into correct positions for clearance.

any info pointing toward a really easy install, or problems during an install on any 97+ XJ's would be apreciated

I have the rusty's exhaust system installed on my '01 and I love it the muffler has a deep tone without being to loud or obnoxius. The install was very quick and painless, if they are making it the same way they used to it will hook right up to the factory hangers perfectly.

I have a 97 with Rusty's cat back. I had a hellova time getting the old pipes off. I pounded on the stock muffler for a good two hours before I decided to get out the sawzall. The the new kit only had one hanger on it. I don't know if this was a mistake on Rusty's end or what, but I had to take it to an exhaust shop to have a rear hanger welded on. It's a little louder than I expected, but the performance is worth it. I also have the Banks header. Not a bad deal.

Good luck

Deyman

Back