• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Irocks

Fozzy

NAXJA Forum User
Is anyone running a set of the Irock Radials? I am thinking about buying a set, but the radials cost about $50 more per tire. I will be getting the 36x13.5x15's. They will be used on a daily driver until I go to college this summer then the Heep becomes a wheeler.

Let me get this straight, you go to college and the Jeep is retired to wheeler status, from DD? I am at the wrong school!

I have no experience with Iroks.

the bias seem to have a more rounded ballon looking tread while the radials have a squarer footprint. I don't know really anyhting about treadwear,ect but someone stated they thought theri radials would get better mileage then the bias?.? Seems to be a good tire though, I would consider runnning them if they got decent tread life, yeah right.

You didn't say what type of wheeling you do. I doubt the Irock's will last very long on the street, the tread blocks are fairly small compared to the tire carcass/footprint......meaning big gaps in the tread blocks. They seem to work well in the rocks, but not nearly as well as MT/R's, which also are about as good a street tire as you can get for a good off road tire. If you run mud, they may be a good choice, but I have no experience with that.

I've never seen them work but they guys that do run them say they wrok better then the MTR's. Personally I don't think the MTR's are all that great, but thats just me.

i love my Iroks!
i first ran 33" mtrs and was real happy with their performance except for the "nail guard" siding......punctured one tire just two weeks out.
i've had the Iroks now for about five months and have beat the piss out of um.
i run the 36" bias, a bit flat on cold cold mornings but smooth out after a couple miles. crawling performance is great, i run um at 8 psi and they just fold over the rocks. my friends just freak out when they watch the tires work.
from what i've been told the carcass of the tire is the same as the super swamper........i have gashed and cut the crap out of my sidewalls and not one leak. also, these tires are lighter and are better balanced than my mtr's ever were.

Warthog said:
i love my Iroks!

i have gashed and cut the crap out of my sidewalls and not one leak. also, these tires are lighter and are better balanced than my mtr's ever were.

Im worried about buying the IROCKs they are lighter then the SXs so Im thinking less rubber thickness on the side walls.?

Side wall cuts are my largest worrie, I cut lots of tires...

Gashes and cuts are not good.... you only want mild scratches!
How far down to the rim does the side wall protection go? IROCKs dont have a visable thick sidewall section or ring.

On TSLs and SX the side walls are thicker to where the ring is or where the side lugs end. beyond that and they are ALOT easier to cut up!

I ripped a 38in TSL radial, the rock only scratched the side wall till it wen beyond the side lugs, then it cut all the way through (no pics). My spare goodyears tires are junk in the rocks...

The 39.5in IROCKs are on back order..

download.php

download.php

Weasel said:
I've never seen them work but they guys that do run them say they wrok better then the MTR's. Personally I don't think the MTR's are all that great, but thats just me.

I can just repeat what I've seen. On my last trip to Johnson Valley one of the rigs beind me had 36" Irok's and he had trouble in a few places that I just crawled right over (I'm runnng MT/R's).

The biased ply Swampers have a stronger sidewall than the radial Swampers, so that should hold true for the Irok's as well. Hard to accept that a Swamper is lighter than an MT/R......but I guess anything is possible. The old style Goodyear Wrangler's were terrible rock tires, decent grip but very thin sidewall.

Here's a couple pics for reference...

I know you're not talking about the 49's but you can see the sidewall and tread so here you go.

Here's a stack of 49" Iroks
Irok_49.jpg

Here's a 49" Irok and a 46" Baja Claw just for comparo
Irok_and_Claw.jpg

hth

go to discount tire and get their tire warranty. You blow out the side wall...they replace the tire....not a bad get up....

i am going to go throw a guy i knwo and get a good deal ont he tires and the tire warnety. i hop i can get th warrenty at least. i am planning on running a set of 39.5s

Up here a couple guys run the bais Iroks and they swear by them. Hmmm, the radials are alot cheaper then the bais, so I'll probably get tem and if they wear to fast before I leave, I'll get some Les Schwab-ies for daliy driving.

Goatman said:
I can just repeat what I've seen. On my last trip to Johnson Valley one of the rigs beind me had 36" Irok's and he had trouble in a few places that I just crawled right over (I'm runnng MT/R's).

Interesting. I don't have any first hand expirence with them just what people say.

Back