• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Midwest Caravan

I'd be interested in traveling at least part of the way with the Caravan if it happens. It seems most will be coming across the northern part of Ohio on 80/90. I will be coming across Ohio on 70 to Columbus, then north on 71 to hit 80 at Youngstown.

If the Caravan has some idea about what day and time they'd be going through Youngstown Ohio, I could try and meet up with it. If not ... I'm used to traveling alone.

Les

I think it sounds cool. Where should we meet up? Somewhere after the other expressways (65 & 94) split off of I-80? I'd like to leave the south burbs about 5:30- 6:00...

knute rockne rest stop oasis.......25 minutes west of notre dame/south bend exit.....

just a suggestion for possible on-the-interstae meeting point.

That sounds good to me, Beez. That way we can get out of the Chicago area ahead of the morning insanity. We need to agree on a meeting time there, which will need to be perhaps a one hour range, since we'll have guys coming from all around and even early, travel times will be hard to predict.

Les, probably your best bet would be to be in touch via cell phone, since our travel time from the South Bend area will also be hard to predict...

what is a target day/time at this point?

I like waking up crazy-early, and would like to make it same-day......

caravans are cool, but they move slow.

I don't like waiting for people to show up to the meeting place, and I don't like the whole caravan pulling over everytime someone has to pee......

I'm just speaking for myself here, I'd love to get a caravan going, but I'm not stopping....but I'm not bombing down the interstate at 80 mph either.....

how does that bizzness sound?

I believe most in this area planned to leave early Wednesday. I'm fine with very early as well, since I'll be like a kid at X-mas and too excited to sleep :D . I know what you're saying about waiting, but we'd really need to allow some range for the initial meet-up. On the road, I've got almost a 400 mile range in the Winnebago, which is way longer than I can go without a piss stop. Rest areas are nice for that, since it's usually easy off and back on. As far as speed, with the bulk of traffic is fine for me, up to a point. I can do 90+, but I'd rather do no more than 10-15 over. Last time I went that direction, I was lucky to be doing the limit with the heavy traffic an construction...

I was planning on leaving around noon on Wed. I may push it up. Taking 80 may be the way I go since the PA Turnpike absolutely sucked monkey nuts a couple weeks ago.

I'm leaving my house on Wednesday around 6-6:30. Don't mind the 75 limit and if you don't have to gas up when I do, then I will catch up. Made my reservations at the Hampton for W, TH, F and possibly Sa.

OneTonXJ said:
Taking 80 may be the way I go since the PA Turnpike absolutely sucked monkey nuts a couple weeks ago.

I know we generally try to ignore OneTon, but this is good advice. The PA Tpke seems like it's been under construction for 30 or 40 years, with no end in sight! And, there'll be some construction delays on I-81 in Harrisburg. I don't believe there is any major construction (other than a couple of bridges) on 80 from the Ohio/PA line.

Even if you're coming along I70 west of Columbus, you might want to consider running up I71 to I76, but, there might be construction around Akron.

We'll keep the light on.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

I am probably a bit later than the rest of you, and I can meet anyone in Toledo at 1pm or later on wednesday and MAYBE a bit earlier.

JasonXJ said:
I am probably a bit later than the rest of you, and I can meet anyone in Toledo at 1pm or later on Wednesday and MAYBE a bit earlier.

I thought you weren't leaving till Thursday?

I was planning on being on the road by 8 on Wed which would put me at Toledo around 9:30/10. If you Illini boy's are getting up that early I'll catch you there.

Beezil & Lesslimited ... if you all are leaving Wednesday morning, about what time would that put you at the 80/90 and 69 interchange? I could meet up with everyone there.

It may help if we could exchange cellular numbers to keep caught up with where we are at. :dunno:

Les

Urban Redneck said:
I'm leaving my house on Wednesday around 6-6:30. Don't mind the 75 limit and if you don't have to gas up when I do, then I will catch up. Made my reservations at the Hampton for W, TH, F and possibly Sa.
Tom, are you sure you want to leave that late? I80-94 is terrible every morning rush, plus they're doing construction along there as well, so leaving at that time will guarantee some "parking lot" time.

As for the whole convoy thing, perhaps it would be better if we did a couple or few "mini-convoys" for those with similar driving habits/starting times. Keep in touch with the cell phones, so if anyone has problems, others can possibly help, and if groups are close enough, they can adjust to join up. Also, those meeting up farther east would have more options.
Thoughts???

I'll leave whatever time you guys are planning on. I would suggest that anyone with a CB have it tuned to a set station to pick up members as we move on. What time were you thinking of leaving?

lesslimited said:
As for the whole convoy thing, perhaps it would be better if we did a couple or few "mini-convoys" for those with similar driving habits/starting times. Keep in touch with the cell phones, so if anyone has problems, others can possibly help, and if groups are close enough, they can adjust to join up. Also, those meeting up farther east would have more options.

I think this will work great. Hopefully, everyone will get there in one piece so we won't have any "emergencies", but that assurance is nice to have.

Les

IntrepidXJ said:
what time would you suggest leaving?
IMHO, you'd want to be past I-65 before 6:30 at the latest, 6:00 would probably be better. Going out to Brad's (Kid4lyf) shop today around 9:00, the traffic was stop and go. I'm sure some of that was weekenders heading to Michigan, but truck traffic was heavy, too. That stretch is just always nuts.

Being in the south burbs, I'm only about 15 minutes from where 80 and 294 join, so it's easy for me to get past the mess early, and as I stated previously, when I'm leaving for a great vacation I'm awake real early.

Beez, you know we all want to follow you, so what does the lemming king say :D :worship: :D

lesslimited said:
IMHO, you'd want to be past I-65 before 6:30 at the latest, 6:00 would probably be better. Going out to Brad's (Kid4lyf) shop today around 9:00, the traffic was stop and go. I'm sure some of that was weekenders heading to Michigan, but truck traffic was heavy, too. That stretch is just always nuts.

Being in the south burbs, I'm only about 15 minutes from where 80 and 294 join, so it's easy for me to get past the mess early, and as I stated previously, when I'm leaving for a great vacation I'm awake real early.

Beez, you know we all want to follow you, so what does the lemming king say :D :worship: :D

I'm about 45 mins from Crestwood and about 20 from Bensenville. What time do you guys want to hit the road?

Back