• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'00 dies when we slow down

Rufies97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok.. i asked this before.. but the answers I got didn't fix the problem.

Lately when my wife, or me, is driving the XJ... and we come up to a stop sign, light or just a gradual slow down... the engine will die. lights, radio and ect stay on.. but the engine shuts off. We turn the key off and then it will start right back up.
First we thought it was the remote starter I installed.. but it still did it after the remote starter was removed.
Haven't taken it the stealership yet.. but its really starting to concern us.
Hopefully we can fix it with your help and without going anywhere else.

Rufies97XJ said:
Ok.. i asked this before.. but the answers I got didn't fix the problem.

Lately when my wife, or me, is driving the XJ... and we come up to a stop sign, light or just a gradual slow down... the engine will die. lights, radio and ect stay on.. but the engine shuts off. We turn the key off and then it will start right back up.
First we thought it was the remote starter I installed.. but it still did it after the remote starter was removed.
Haven't taken it the stealership yet.. but its really starting to concern us.
Hopefully we can fix it with your help and without going anywhere else.

will it idle in neutral ?

Take your XJ to a shop you trust and have them clean the throttle body. You can get a dirty Idle air controller passage and cause the problem you describe.

I my XJ also die like that. I took it to the dealer and their was a TSB for my 88 XJ. It had the mechanic modify the IAC so it would not totally cut off the air. That mod worked for a year then the XJ would do it again. I found myself having to use the old "flooded carborator" trick to get it started. Even though it died the injectors were still spraying fuel.

I decided to pull the Idle air controller (IAC) and inspect it. I decided after 150,000 miles it was time to replace the IAC. It is just a stepper motor which is constantly moving any time you are at an idle or coast. The IAC fixed the problem, has not died on me since.

I'd still have the throttle body cleaned before you replaced the IAC. At the dealer they pulled it off, cleaned it with a brass brush. He got lots of brown out of the IAC passage and off the back side of the butterfly. Once clean he reinstalled it with a new gasket. What shocked me next is he hooked up the test set and verified how the engine was running. He checked TPS calibraion (no necessary on 91 and later 4.0s) and monitored injector pulse width along with engine idle.

It cost me 1 hour of labor for him to do all of that, some of the best money I spent on the XJ. It may be good to have a professional look over your vehicle.

I did interview this guy before he worked on my XJ the first time. I go in and ask for him to work on my XJ. I also tell the service writer the problem then talk to the mechanic and describe it since service writers use too much short hand on the ticket. It also helps that the mechanic knows who you are instead of just being another vehicle they have to work on.

PS: My 86 Ford Mustang with the 302 V8 had fuel injection, in fact it was the first year for fuel injection. I got to the point I had the throttle body cleaned every 30,000 miles to solve idle and engine dieing problems. Might be an item you need to add to the preventive maintenance schedule.

Last edited:
Bad torque convertor?

If the trans doesn't down shift or the torque convertor doesn't allow for slip wouldn't this be the same as stopping or slowing without pushing in the clutch?

Just a bad guess. But please post what you find out as I also have a '00.
Tom

Did some checking online, you may also want to check your catalytic converter. Take a trip around town after dark, or long enuough to get your exhaust good and hot. Pull in your driveway and get out and look at the converter. If it is glowing cherry red, you need a new one or you need to make it a "converter" :cool: ...you know what I mean. But that is only if your in a state where you can get away with it.

Stick said:
Did some checking online, you may also want to check your catalytic converter. Take a trip around town after dark, or long enuough to get your exhaust good and hot. Pull in your driveway and get out and look at the converter. If it is glowing cherry red, you need a new one or you need to make it a "converter" :cool: ...you know what I mean. But that is only if your in a state where you can get away with it.

I think the cat is OK.. but I will definitly check that theory out.. anything is worth a shot. Thanks
What other sensors are there that may cause this?

Rufies97XJ said:
Ok.. its starting to not start up right away...
dies when slowling down.. not over heating...

Take and see if its throwing any codes, most of the chain stores have OBD II readers. I myself am on the verge of buying one now that we have 3 Jeeps and all are OBD II. I figure it's only a matter of time till that check engine light comes on on a friday or sat nite before a big and busy week, so says murphy... I'd rather spend the $200 on a rear bumper though...

There a couple of things your can do. First is keep a log of when it happens. You know how far from where you started, was the engine still cold, outdoor temperature, etc.

When I gave the info to my dealer mechanic he called the jeep tech support line and they told him about the TSB for my 88 XJ. He applied it and that worked for a year.

Like I posted before replacing the Idle air controller (IAC) finally solved the problem. My recommendation is now that you have a clean throttle body replace the IAC.

The other course is to take it to someone and have them look it over, someone familiar with your series of XJ.

OK I have a 97, and it has a dying problem

Here are the conditions;

Only on cold Mornings
Only before the engine has reached operating temp.
Only when I apply throttle from idle

to restart I have to use the WOT "clear flood" method

the CE light briefly flashes on then off

it only does this in the winter

Occasionally it will sputter when first cranked, If it does this It will not crank unless I use the WOT clear flood method. no codes.

it does this intermittently year round.

any ideas?

Back