• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extra Gas

DXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for peoples experience with carrying gas cans. I don't really want to add any more weight on my rear tire rack so I was contemplating on the roof. Instead of Gerry Cans I was thinking the shorter, squattier plastic cans. I'll figure out a rack. I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with this. Do they leak? What happens if they are in the sun for 10 hours? Any suggestions about gas cans that are not an upright style like the Gerry cans that people have first hand experience with?

I'm just looking for a little more range that is removable.

Thanks for any input.

Don't flip over if you mount them on the roof. :flame: I think some clubs and organizations require gerry cans for saftey and maybe the DOT does too. I'd check laws etc before going the plastic route. Personally I want my gas in the tank and no where else.

I try to not flip it over with or without anything on the roof. :laugh3:

You are right. I do need to check with DOT to be sure.

I know you want to carry more gas but the roof is not the place for it. Plastic will burst in a rollover or if it is dropped. The steel cans have an expansion hole [or at least the blitz cans I have do] which is why I drive home gingerly after filling them at the gas station, hate getting gas on the carpet. They should be carried at the rear and on the opposite side as the exhaust pipe with the cap facing outwards. I've seen 1/4 ton M151's hit from behind.
Another option is to get an aftermarket tank, I seem to remember that there is a 27 or 30 gallon steel tank with a built in skidplate available that fits between the frame rails and uses stock pump and sender, that might be a safer option to carrying 2 5 gallon blitz cans... I just don't remember who sells it, saw it a few years ago in JP magazine.
Another option might be a fuel cell on the floor of the cargo area. It would only take up a relatively small area height wise if it was flat and thin. Could be plumbed into the stock gas tank too...

Last edited:
Wonder if it's an Aero ?? I bought one for my 69 Willys wagon when the stocker rusted out... It was a nice tank too... but he does not mention a built in skid plate. I'd love a bigger tank on my 98 to take advantage of the fuel prices out of this area of the poconos where they charge NYC prices when I go to NJ and almost anywhere out of here...

I called them a few years ago about it after I saw the ad in some rag, they said a name but I can't remember who. I would think Aero but you never know. Juice

RichP said:
Plastic will burst in a rollover or if it is dropped.

What about the new milspec cans manufactured by Scepter?

Gas tank would probably be cheaper....have not priced the ones you are talking about so thats justa guess..
I think though that if I was going to want alot of extended range, doubling what most have, I would go with a bigger underbody tank of the biggest size I could find. Then I would look to have a custom fuel cell made that would fit in the rear cargo area. Maybe 2 or 3 inches high to act as a second floor. Small fuel pump to pump it's gas into the main tank, maybe two QD fuel lines and vented outside. You would be adding ALOT of weight to the rear though, thats for sure...and it would cost a bit.
You could also use a 1/4 ton type trailer to carry extra, heck on long convoys with little or no tanker support we used to carry 10 full 5 gallon blitz cans back there. Alot of people have a cavalier attitude to carrying loose fuel, the stuff is dangerous if mishandled and not stowed properly.
Guy I knew that used to spend alot of time in the desert near vegas back in the 70's had his CJ rigged up with two rear blitz cans on the bumperettes, 3 cans on each side on top of the rear wheel wells in blitz holders for a total of 40 gallons extra.

I like the idea of a larger replacement tank. I'll be carrying it around all the time but if I don't fill it all the way, I'm not really carrying much more weight to work everyday.

I was never really keen on the idea of the roof. I've seen it a few times in pics but could never really put my finger on why it didn't seem right. Part of the reason I asked.

Interesting idea about the fuel cell. I probably won't do it but it's innovative.

Could I just fill my spare tire with gasoline? That seems like a perfect backup tank. (YES, I'M JUST KIDDING!)

Thanks for the input.

DXJ said:
Could I just fill my spare tire with gasoline? That seems like a perfect backup tank. (YES, I'M JUST KIDDING!)
Sounds like a good idea. I'm sure it would work. Then you could add a line to the gas tank. Hmm, but then your spare would have a hole in it. :confused1 If I were you I wouldn't put the tanks up top. A Cherokee that I wheel with has them up top. He's almost rolled on very easy trails cause it was so top heavy.

DXJ said:
I like the idea of a larger replacement tank. I'll be carrying it around all the time but if I don't fill it all the way, I'm not really carrying much more weight to work everyday.

I was never really keen on the idea of the roof. I've seen it a few times in pics but could never really put my finger on why it didn't seem right. Part of the reason I asked.

Interesting idea about the fuel cell. I probably won't do it but it's innovative.

Thanks for the input.

The spare tire is not crazy as it sounds. main problem would be that all that weight would be on one side, a custom fuel cell would probably hold 20 gallons given the same dimensions only rectangular. As far as a bigger tank vs a custom fuel cell I bet when all was said an done they would cost about the same. Find your local circle track people and find out who makes custom fuel cells in your area. The 4 tie downs in the back could be replaced with pins that would go thru the fuel cell and be locked down with circle pins like the old style hood pins or the pins used in JKS disconnects. With detachable fittings you could pump it dry and remove it when not needed then put it back in and fill iit up. I like that idea because you would still have the cargo area storage and only loose the storage space x thickness of the cell...
Wesco performance fuel cells
http://store.yahoo.net/wescoperformance/ecfuelcel.html
ATL also makes them up to about 44 gallons which would fit in the cargo area with no problem
Heres another one
http://www.bajaconcepts.com/bajaracingproducts/index.cfm?go=fuelsystems.cfm
when comparing prices add up the number of blitz cans you would need at $25 ea, a fuel cell is not that much of a stretch $$ wise...
This did not just pop into my head, I've been trying to figure out a way to take advantage of gas prices out of my area without having to carry 10 or more blitz cans back there with my network and computer stuff. If I can save $.15 to $.20 a gallon a 20+Gallon fuel cell will pay for itself pretty quick...

A VENT HOLE?!?!?

In CA you are supposed to be CARB approved, but the main item that determines whether a can is "approved" or not is the spout and it ability to control fumes and spills.

I like these cans Gerry Cans (the metal ones).

They are not approved and as such, you can't buy them in CA (unless you get them on the Web from someone who will ship to CA). They have no vent (Yay!) and they don't leak. They are fine for in the sun for extended periods. They are tested.. heck read about it here: Gerry can details I have one of the 20L water cans and two of the 10L gass cans. Get the good spout.

Might not survive a roll-over (I carry them on my ConFerr on my roof - MY BAD! :skull2: ) so shoot me...

bburge

RichP said:
Wonder if it's an Aero ?? I bought one for my 69 Willys wagon when the stocker rusted out... It was a nice tank too... but he does not mention a built in skid plate. I'd love a bigger tank on my 98 to take advantage of the fuel prices out of this area of the poconos where they charge NYC prices when I go to NJ and almost anywhere out of here...
I emailed Aero last week about a larger tank for 97+ XJ. Their answer was: "sorry we do not offer a tank for your jeep."
I've read posts about larger tanks for 97+ but nobody has a link or can remember the company that made them. If anyone knows for sure, let me know. :cheers:

I haven't looked for it recently, but J.C. Whitney used to sell an oversize tank for the XJ. Check them.

As for Gerry cans, I prefer them (the NATO style) to the American Blitz cans. You can get NATO cans cheap from both Sportsmans Guide (www.sportsmansguide.com) and Cheaper Than Dirt (www.cheaperthandirt.com). The cans are sold as used surplus, but the ones I've gotten appear to be unissued, new-old-stock. Don't forget to order a nozzle, because no other nozzle fits those cans.

Gas stations will give a discount if fuel is purchased in quantity? Never heard of that one before...

My 20 gallon tank doesn't get me any discounts, but would seriously consider purchasing a 50ish gallon tank to store at home. Only if I were to get cheaper gas then.

I'm suprised this has not been mentioned already, and it just so happens I cannot find the link to the write up. But on one of the Jeep sites there is a write up about twisting a certain part in the fuel thank upwards a couple inches. It's supposed to increase the capacity by something like 5 to 10 gallons (can't remember exact amount). Might want to look into doing this, it seemed easy enough. Ask around on jeepsunlimited.com and you'll find the write up.

The big tank tank with the built in skid was done in a JP magazine article back in 98 sometime so perhaps JP mag might have a record of who made it.

RichP said:
The big tank tank with the built in skid was done in a JP magazine article back in 98 sometime so perhaps JP mag might have a record of who made it.
...and it was on a 97+??? I'll give 'em a call if you're sure about the larger tank AND the year.

Yea, I remember looking at it in a store and it was a few months after I got my 98XJ which I picked up in Dec of 97. I was not really into jeeps yet so I said 'huh, looks interesting' but I'll never bother doing anything like that and put it back in the stand. :twak: Then may rolled around and here I was ordering and installing factory skids, fogs, installing Pirelli scorpion AT's, buying a $50 tow strap, checking out rosser jeep and quadratec and lusting after all that stuff, go figure. I shot them an email this morning but have not gotten anything back yet...

Back