• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering box?

jeeperzevanxj

NAXJA Forum User
i am running 6.5" lift with 33" mtr's, just replaced wheel bearings, trac-bar with drop bracket, tie rod and sway bar and discos and got it aligned. everything checked out then except the dude said that my steering box is going bad. he pushed my wheels and they moved easily. and when i drive, especially on uneven roads and the highway it pulls from side to side (like pulls in the parts where the semi trucks make grooves in the road.) it pulls then sways all over the road, very scary. does the steering box sound right? it is expensive and i don't want to replace it and have it not help anything. help!!! please.

Have you checked to make sure the steering box bolts are tight? Any cracks around the mounting holes?

CRASH

jeeperzevanxj said:
i am running 6.5" lift with 33" mtr's, just replaced wheel bearings, trac-bar with drop bracket, tie rod and sway bar and discos and got it aligned. everything checked out then except the dude said that my steering box is going bad. he pushed my wheels and they moved easily. and when i drive, especially on uneven roads and the highway it pulls from side to side (like pulls in the parts where the semi trucks make grooves in the road.) it pulls then sways all over the road, very scary. does the steering box sound right? it is expensive and i don't want to replace it and have it not help anything. help!!! please.

At that height it is normal if you still have OEM steering links. The angle is so great that any change like the tire grooves will cause this to happen. The only solution is to change the steering geometry so that either the angle is not as bad or work up something different from the OEM links. This can be expensive although.

ChuckD said:
At that height it is normal if you still have OEM steering links. The angle is so great that any change like the tire grooves will cause this to happen. The only solution is to change the steering geometry so that either the angle is not as bad or work up something different from the OEM links. This can be expensive although.

ChuckD, What steering "bar" angle needs to be changed ?

if you have a pic of a good angle set up it would be appreciated.

try to get the track bar and the track rod as level to the axle as possible. [for all you visual learners] lifted xj steering = / stock Xj steering = - [/for all you visual learners]

-Red

I would also say a steering box brace would help a lot, as well as a frame plate like one from C-Rok or JKS/ORGS. This will give a lot of strengh to the steering box and the frame. Helped to tighten up my steering. A stock ZJ pittman arm has a 1" drop, I have heard people using them to get some better steering. Juice

Stick said:
ChuckD, What steering "bar" angle needs to be changed ?

if you have a pic of a good angle set up it would be appreciated.

There are many different style on the board. You are guarenteed to find them with the search button. OTK, Steering, links

I'm working on an OTK with OEM links, like Goatman and one other created.

I do have a link on my webpage of one solution if that helps.

juicexj24 said:
I would also say a steering box brace would help a lot, as well as a frame plate like one from C-Rok or JKS/ORGS. This will give a lot of strengh to the steering box and the frame. Helped to tighten up my steering. A stock ZJ pittman arm has a 1" drop, I have heard people using them to get some better steering. Juice

I put on an ORJG one last weekend, nice product. If you can weld it is a good one to go with. If you arent a welder and your frame isnt damaged yet I think the C-Rok or a homemade plate is enough.

If you do need another gear I got a good one from a 83 olds delta88 and it is the same exact thing. All GM B-bodies should be the same (1981+ RWD caprice, delta, bonneville, ect) I think a G-body will work to (cutlass, regal, monte carlo, ect)

Andy

If the output shaft has any side to side slop...you need a new box...when i changed mine it made a world of difference...

jeeperzevanxj said:
do i need to remove it to see if the output shaft has any slop, or can i tell with it on?

Thanks

Have someone turn the wheel back and forth while you look at the steering. See if the sector shaft (bottom where the pitman arm is attached) moves side to side any. It should turn but not have any sideways movement. Just being able to turn your wheels by pushing on the tire by hand means nothing, you need to find if there is any play/looseness anywhere in the steering. After checking out the steering box shaft, check out all of the steering joints and the track bar joints for play.

Back