• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need sye for 4.5 lift?

MCD

NAXJA Forum User
i am about to get a 4.5 lift. it has the tc rotator ring. will i need a sye or can i get by without it for a while? anyone have a 4.5 lift and no sye?

reason i ask is that i have the lift coming and will get some tires and rims soon (probaly 31s) and i am about to go to school and i want some safty money incase it takes a bit to get a job. after i get a job ill work up some money and get the sye and shaft. i probaly wont get to wheel much so i dont have to worry about that but it doese snow alot there.

sorry it got so wordy.

MCD said:
i am about to get a 4.5 lift. it has the tc rotator ring. will i need a sye or can i get by without it for a while? anyone have a 4.5 lift and no sye?

reason i ask is that i have the lift coming and will get some tires and rims soon (probaly 31s) and i am about to go to school and i want some safty money incase it takes a bit to get a job. after i get a job ill work up some money and get the sye and shaft. i probaly wont get to wheel much so i dont have to worry about that but it doese snow alot there.

sorry it got so wordy.
I don't know what a "tc rotator ring" is, but here are my two cents about the rest.:smoker:
i have run a variety of lifts on my xj since it was new in 97, and i only did the SYE a couple of months ago. That said, I am very glad i did it, as it removed the last tiny bit of vibration that i had. As far as do you need it, I would say no, but others may disagree. It will help you get rid of the vibes that will inevitably show up with a 4.5" lift and that is a good thing. Depending on what your usage will be (I know you said you won't wheel it often), it might be a good idea to do it sooner than later. A slip yoke elim and new shaft (and tapered shims to point the diff in the right direction) will probably not cost too much more than new rims, depending on the rims you get, and with 31's you should be able to run your stock rims forever. So, what i am getting at is, if your concern is onroad drivability, then do the SYE now and forget the new rims, just put new tires on your old rims. At a later date, you can get new rims if you want. However, as I often tell my students, wait until you are done school before you spend a bunch of money on anything, life at school is often very expensive. You can do the lift and run with no SYE and no new rims and still have a ton of fun. Guess it depends on what you plan to do with it, and how much capital is available to you. Anyway, what i have written here is more than just two cents!
Buck.

PS where is a good Texan like yourself going to school that there is snow there? If you have never driven in snow, look out!
B.

I put on my JB Conversions Super Short SYE when I did my lift. Besides the very small vibes at 5mph, I don't have ANY.

And the cure for that -> don't drive 5mph.

Oh yeah, it was RE's 4.5" and yes, it is my DD.

All of the people that have commented so far have 97+ rigs, as do I. I believe that you will find that pre 96' have much many more problems with the driveshaft. It was redesigned with the new body style, and with that much lift on the older xj... you may have MAJOR problems, such as the driveshaft pulling completely out of the transfer case. This is what i gathered for information when i had planned on lifting my 95'. The best advice that i can give you is to do more research, i have a feeling it could be bad to have 4.5" with no SYE... just my 1.5 cents. Good Luck!

Profile says 90 XJ, and like Buck I've got no idea what you're talking about with a "tc rotator ring" either. You've got the old-style output if you've got an NP231, and that's what is important here. That style is less prone to vibrations when lifted, so you may not need one, or it may be that you can fix it with a t-case drop. I'd recommend holding off on the new rims though, and budget that for the SYE. It will seal the rear of the case anyway, which will let you remove the rear driveshaft if needed.

i have a 1990 xj limited with the 242 transfercase. all i know about the tc rotator ring is that is comes in the kit so i must need it. the main reason i need new rims is because my old ones are starting to get cracks around the lug nut holes and i dont want to be wheeling and go down on it wrong and and break it. i am going to WyoTech in July and from what i hear its a pretty snowy place. i have plenty of capital and i just want to hold off till i get regular income. i am getting the lift from Rusty's with the aal in the rear.

thanks for the advice guys

WyoTech? It's not snowy...the biggest thing that will drive you nuts about that state is the lean you'll develop because it's always windy. Strong winds 24/7 from west-->east....because Nebraska sucks...

I don't know of anyone with an XJ from 93 - 00 up here that is running a sye. I had some vibrations and like you am on a budget so while saving for one I tossed some 4.5degree shims on it got rid of most everything.

Jeep Freek
Black Hills Jeeps

00XJ 4.5 RE superflex, 33x12.50 MTR's, Bushwackers and more

The "TC roator ring" attaches between the Transmission and the Transfer case if I remember correctly. If I'm not mistaken all it does is lower the front driveshafts output yoke. The ring changes where the bolts are so the TC can be rotated counterloockwise and installed like that. At least that's what I saw on "Trucks"

I ran 6" of lift in the rear of my 87 with no SYE and ZERO vibes. I had a D44 rear though and had to use a D35 driveshaft for the extra inch of length to keep my driveshaft from pulling out. Np242 Auto.

I've heard the opposite off JU plenty of times. The np242 in the newer Xjs has worse problems. MOst have to get SYEs at 3". BUt the np231 is better for lifts. Thats jsut what i heard a lot.

Back