• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing rear window

by the way its for an 89 cherokee. o wait sounds like my cherokee, o wait it is. I guess someone didnt like the color of my rear window so they took matters into there own hands.

The liftgate window, or a rear quarter window?

The liftgate window is just a press-in gasket. Take out the old one, set the new window loosely in position from the outside, and patiently work around the opening, pressing the lip of the gasket in. Something like a dull butter knife makes a good tool for this. Just be sure it's really dull, so it will push the gasket in without cutting it.

thank for the help. I was told that it would be an easy fix and i already scored a rear one for 15 bucks. Guess its time to invest in an alarm.

Eagle said:
The liftgate window, or a rear quarter window?

The liftgate window is just a press-in gasket. Take out the old one, set the new window loosely in position from the outside, and patiently work around the opening, pressing the lip of the gasket in. Something like a dull butter knife makes a good tool for this. Just be sure it's really dull, so it will push the gasket in without cutting it.

hey eagle, how about the 1/4 glass? Got a pair of privacy tint with the opener styel glass in front to replace my solid glass. How would you do these?

If it's the liftgate window, you can do it easily with a piece of string. Put the gasket on the window. Now cut a piece of cord like sash cord, not too thin, to a length that is a few feet longer than the total length of the outside groove in the gasket. Now thread the string into the groove, so that both ends meet at one spot, or overlap a little. Now open the liftgate and lay the glass on top of the hole, and get inside. With your hands, start pulling the gasket over the lip of the gate, and once it's well started, just very carefully pull on the string and it will pull the rest of the gasket over the lip as it goes around.

You use the same procedure on the side quarter windows, but of course you can't lay the glass down, so you'll either need a helper, or need to manually seat the bottom edge before you pull the string.

update

thanks guys for the help!!!
just finished putting it in. doesnt look as good becasue i used the striping from the other window and it doesnt have the chrome trim....(plus the window had a couple undesirable stickers) but for how cheap it was worth it. My dad told me the same thing with string but it was to late. We had at it and it took 30 minutes. just have to wait to celent hardens tomorrow to clean up my mess. even better, i found who did it and it was trying to get back at my friends xj but he has an alarm. anyways thanks again and next time i am definitly using string. :lecture:

Back