• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

name that ticking

azxjman

NAXJA Forum User
sometimes when I start my jeep it has a loud couple of bangs right at start and since yesterday there has been a ticking from the same spot from the rear of the engine which sounds louder underneath the jeep. has the 4.0 engine auto 150,xxx on the engine. I know its not an exaust leak because I just took the manifold off and welded it back together and replaced the gasket afterwords there were no noises which was about 4 days ago. When I get under the jeep and and put my hand on the bell housing it feels like something is hitting it. I am thinking the flexplate is lose or cracked any opinions.

Flexplate, do a search, plenty of info in the past couple months.
Short form
Pull inspection cover, tighten the 4 bolts that hold flexplate to TC
Doesn't fix, you need to replace flexplate.

Lots of info in this forum back in March. I know because I did mine then!

asatxj said:
Flexplate, do a search, plenty of info in the past couple months.
Short form
Pull inspection cover, tighten the 4 bolts that hold flexplate to TC
Doesn't fix, you need to replace flexplate.

Lots of info in this forum back in March. I know because I did mine then!

Ditto

Mine does the same thing. I was told that it is an exhaust leak in the header most likely. It gets louder as the rpms get higher. I also notice that it does it more in the cold, like when I first start it.

Back