• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

seat belts

85Chief

NAXJA Forum User
In my '85 cherokee, my driver's side seatbelt wont retract or anything. Any idea how I can fix this?? Is there a spring I can replace, or am I better off getting a new unit? Would one from a wrecked cherokee work well or is there a site that sells them? Cost? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

85Chief said:
In my '85 cherokee, my driver's side seatbelt wont retract or anything. Any idea how I can fix this?? Is there a spring I can replace, or am I better off getting a new unit? Would one from a wrecked cherokee work well or is there a site that sells them? Cost? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

REPLACE. Loaded spring mechinism inside is not repairable. try a local wrecker for the part.

Shouldn't be more than $20.00

it actually is repairable - i did it with mine (driver side, 87 xj) when the dumpjard wanted too much for a replacement.
take it out, open the plastic cover and take out the spring (it's a long band). it is most probably bent and out of shape. if there are no cracks in the metal, just drag it over a metal edge a few times where it is out of shape. spool it up again and close the whole thing - should be ok...

good luck.
(if the yard has it for a few bucks, get one there)

micha

Yard for first choice but not from one that was in an accident where the seatbelt was needed. Some yards may not want to sell you one for liability reasons so be prepared if they bring that up, if they don't bring it up then don't mention it.

NO, you will replace the whole thing, check to make sure the buckle is the same size also or you will need the female clip end off the floor in the center area. The two times I did it I unbolted the spring rewinder off the floor, the chrome piece near your left ear and the part off the floor. I got lucky and found ones the same color which was grey for my S10... I used loctite when installing them.
It was no big deal, took me about 20 min...
Um, on second thought check the swivel near your ear, the retainer inside the B pillar could drop but I'm not sure on the XJ. My S10 that swivel was not adjustable, on my 98XJ it is... If I remember correctly it was a torx too...

what colore you looking for I have a maroon one that is already pulled out that a guy wanted but then backed out of.
DIG IT

RichP said:
NO, you will replace the whole thing, check to make sure the buckle is the same size also or you will need the female clip end off the floor in the center area. The two times I did it I unbolted the spring rewinder off the floor, the chrome piece near your left ear and the part off the floor. I got lucky and found ones the same color which was grey for my S10... I used loctite when installing them.
It was no big deal, took me about 20 min...
Um, on second thought check the swivel near your ear, the retainer inside the B pillar could drop but I'm not sure on the XJ. My S10 that swivel was not adjustable, on my 98XJ it is... If I remember correctly it was a torx too...

The retainer won't fall out. The belts changed somewhere between 87 and 89, and may have changed before 87 as well, so Rich is correct that you should get the whole thing if possible.

My 87 had a retractor break, and it was not fixable, because the retractor uses a very long, thin clock spring that is wound in two different directions. If the spring breaks, there's really no way to reattach it. It is, however, possible to take it apart and put it together again, so if you find the right mechanism in the wrong color, and you're patient, you can "respring" an old one.

85Chief said:
BuckyXJ--I'm looking for a light blue color (here's my interior color.... http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/2/web/386000-386999/386957_7_full.jpg...)...........(yes, the seats are two different shades...don't ask.)

So if I find the same spring from a different colored seat belt, it's possible to swap out springs, or did I not read that correctly. Thanks everyone for their feedback...

You should be able to swap out springs. I can't now remember exactly how I did this on mine, but it was doable. Ironically, the one I took the spring out of was blue.

Back