• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What pre '97 XJ D30s came with 297x u-joints?

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I have been told that some earlier XJ D30s came with 297x u-joints. I heard it was 94-96 without ABS, or was it just 96?

Anyways I need to know because my local yard has 88-96 XJs all the time and I can get a complete D30 for $100. So it will be easier to install my 4.56s and it will be HP unlike my 2000.

IIRC it would be ALL ABS axles... the tone ring has no effect on a non ABS applications as far as i know.. and i believe it was 96 when they went to the larger u-joints on all axles..

mike

I know '94 XJs with ABS have 297x u-joints. I have heard of as far back as '89 and '90 XJs with ABS having 297x, but haven't personally seen any. (I have an ABS housing from an '89 that has 260x u-joints) I think it was in '95 when non-ABS XJs started getting them. Since they get a lot of XJs through, just check them out.

Rob

I found some 297x's in an '89 with ABS. Measure the u-joint cap diameter to make sure it has the 297's. Approximately 1 1/16" across for 260's and 1 3/16" for 297's.

ECKSJAY said:
My 95: Non-ABS w/ 297s.

my non abs 95 XJ had 260s.....

my roommate had 297s in his 92 w/abs....

mac 'its jeep...there is no fine line' gyvr

95 is a crap shoot to whether you go 297's or not... but prior to 96 all ABS axles go them and some no abs in 95...

ECKSJAY said:
I forgot to add 'Sport' to that description. I'm willing to bet that makes a difference... What package was yours, Mac?

Mine is a 95 SE....non abs w/260 originally....

the roommates 92 was a limited w/abs and 297s...

and yes 95 was kind of a bastard year...my jeep and beezil's original XJ were made one month apart...and when discussed you wouldn't believe all the differences in our jeeps...

mac 'its a chrysler thing...and we dont understand' gyvr

xjcrazed said:
I know '94 XJs with ABS have 297x u-joints. I have heard of as far back as '89 and '90 XJs with ABS having 297x, but haven't personally seen any. (I have an ABS housing from an '89 that has 260x u-joints) I think it was in '95 when non-ABS XJs started getting them. Since they get a lot of XJs through, just check them out.

Rob

That's crap, no 297's in XJ disco axles.......YJ's were the only rigs to come with 297's and then only ABS models......but then again, I heard your Jeep was functional........... :smootch:

XJEEPER said:
That's crap, no 297's in XJ disco axles.......YJ's were the only rigs to come with 297's and then only ABS models......but then again, I heard your Jeep was functional...........

You're right, but I don't believe ABS was an option on any XJs with disconnect axles, only the Selec-Trac equipped models that were nondisco even in '87.

As to the functionality of my Jeep, first which one, second ask me next week. ;)

Rob

macgyvr said:
Mine is a 95 SE....non abs w/260 originally....

the roommates 92 was a limited w/abs and 297s...

and yes 95 was kind of a bastard year...my jeep and beezil's original XJ were made one month apart...and when discussed you wouldn't believe all the differences in our jeeps...

mac 'its a chrysler thing...and we dont understand' gyvr

Fair enough. ;) My A/C compressor was supposed to be one style according to all the parts houses in town and online, but it's the 96+ style...and I've had the Jeep since 45k miles, so I doubt it was replaced since it was originally purchased. Stranger things have happened though. :)

Back