• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slightly Sloppy Steering...

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
I've noticed recently that my steering is a little sloppy. I'm taking more space in the lane than I used it. Anyway, I'd like to take care of the problem before it gets scary, here's what I have, and what I've thought of...

'89 3" lift, lifted with coils up there.
No sway bar right now (I know it's a very bad thing, that's why I always chim in with a big no!)
Stock LCA's, Track Bar, and Track Bar location.

I've got a little bit of bumpsteer, not much, just a hair, but I'd like to maybe take care of that.

The box might be a little loose (not just mouting, although I do need to check that), is tightening the steering gear as easy as it was in the sixties? Loosen the nut on top (or side) of the box and tighten the screw and make sure not to let the "washer" slide out to the side? Bear with me, late night thought and I haven't gone out to look 'cause it's cold out there!

LCA & UCA bushings, perhaps their worn and the axle is walking? It's got 197k on it. I know that the bushings are a major pain, so adjustable LCA's might be a solution.

I'm thinking of going up to around 4.5", hopefully by the end of the summer, but since I don't know when I'll be able to afford a new leaf pack (I'm just going to get spacers up front me thinks, unless I run into somebody that wants to buy my old springs) I'd like to take care of this and keep the idea of a future lift in mind.

Thanks,
Sequoia

Oh..one more thing...axle alignment. Last time I was out I managed to push the LH side of the axle back as far as it would go..seems there's no shims in that side for whatever reason..anyway..that might be the issue as well. Anybody know where I can get shims..and how much the LCA should be shimmed for 3" of lift?

Sounds like you probably need a track bar. What you should do is park it with the wheels pointing straight ahead. Start the engine and let it idle. Have the GF swing the steering wheel back and forth across center, just enough so standing beside the vehicle she can see the tires just begin to move. You get underneath and check all fittings (tie rod ends, drag link, track bar, pitman arm, and steering box output) to see where there is play. It's helpful to put on a surgical glove and put your hand on each joint -- often you can feel small amounts of flex that you can't quite see.

Then replace whatever you find loose or sloppy.

If you plan to go up more anyway, you should invest in an adjustable track bar.

Back