• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical problem

oldmopars

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday I drove to work and everything was nornal, I then went to leave work and I discovered that my turn signals did not work. I started looking at things and my Radio had quit and my heater blower had also quit. All at the same time. I checked the fuses and all are OK.
I figure that this has to be something in common. Any Idea where all three would be tied together before the fuse box?

Could you give some information about your vehicle - year, miles, etc. If you add that to your NAXJA profile would help a lot.

I have a 88 XJ and had a similar failure a year ago. The XJ would run but no radio. I turned off the XJ and restarted it and those things worked. I concluded it was a bad ignition switch.

The ignition switch is located on the column, I am not talking about the lock cylinder. Here a picture of the two styles used on my 88 XJ.
* tilt steering http://www.smpcorp.com/mycgi/ibg.asp?parts=US105
* non-tilt steering http://www.smpcorp.com/mycgi/ibg.asp?parts=US95

Notice how the switches look like mirror images of each other, make sure you get the right one. Expect to pay $10 to $15 for a new ignition switch. Notice on the listing Jeep used this "GM" switch through 1996 so good chance you have one of these switches.

A buddy of mine who a mechanic on the side told me to expect that switch to fail anytime after 120,000 miles. He recommended changing it out at 125,000 as preventive maintenance.

Also you can change the dimmer switch at the same time if you are worried about it. You have to remove the dimmer switch to gain access to bolts holding the ignition switch on. I did not change my dimmer. On my 88 XJ I needed a set of metric ignition wrenches, got the set at sears for $10 or $12.

While you have the lower trim off the dash it would be a good time to change the head light switch. I had mine fail 10 days after I did the ignition switch. That would not of been bad but I was 200 miles from home, it was dusk and had another 250 miles to go that night to get to my hotel in St Louis. Expect to pay $12 to $15 for the headlight switch.

Hope that helps.

Just a follow up to this problem(for archive purposes), I replaced the ignition switch and all is back to normal. I do need to adjust it a little, it turned off on me on the way to work and all I had to do is bump the key back and it fired right up.
Thanks for the suggestion, it was right on.

I've been procrastinating and have yet to change my ignition switch. I think its time All of the above problems are happening at more rapid intervals and now I have a new problem, I have NO front wipers... at all. Before they would only crap out in the rain but if i taped the fuse box with my foot they would resume now nothing helps! Is this the ignition switch problem?!?!? I hope it doesnt rain lol Thanks for any help.
-Steve D

Back