• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE YJ Radius Arm

dennisuello

NAXJA Forum User
radius_arm.jpg

i was just looking at different options formy front full-width axle swap and came across this. anyone thought of using something like this? i know a lot of people run ford radius arms and this is very similar in the idea.

oh yeah, the thing i really like about that style is that you could mount the coils right on top of that and put the whole thing on the tube, then you don't have to worry about welding to the cast diff or clearance issues with the upper arm of the normal Y arms

yup, that's exactly the design that toyota landcruiser and land rovers use. the only issue is that the clearance is reduced under the axle, but if you move the mount as much as possible to the knuckles, it won't matter much.

I looked at this for quite a while before going with the typical radius arm style. Do a search for my name(actually Ary'01xj probably) and rover style radius arms and see what you come up with. I know I asked about it on here and did a lot of reading on it over on Pirate. The biggest wall I ran up against was that the RE YJ arms weren't available yet, and I want to get this done. The cruiser arms are designed to wrap under the axle and you can't flip it over and run it on top(I have a Cruiser and spent many an evening laying under there studying the design). Another problem is that they exhibit excessive bind with both arms being radius arms, and since there isn't much seperation of the bushings, there's a lot of slop if you run only one radius arm and one straight link.

Safari Ary said:
Another problem is that they exhibit excessive bind with both arms being radius arms, and since there isn't much seperation of the bushings, there's a lot of slop if you run only one radius arm and one straight link.

what about pulling a bolt out one of the bushings when going offroad? that would relieve all the bind and improve flex, put the bolt in when back on the road. will increase bushing life, that's for sure. sorta like running two lowers and one upper idea.

I thought about that, I wasn't sure if the arm would then contact the bracket or not. It's definately something to look into, I was just turned off because of the arms being unavailable at the time.

Its not a bad idea but make sure your pinion angle is right when you start because once your done it kind hard to change where with the tradional style the upper is your adjustment.

Back