• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fan Question

My_Little_Pony

NAXJA Forum User
I was up wheelin this weekend and the Jeep went into the Red zone on the temperature gauge. Well we popped the hood and saw all the water just pooring out of the resevoir bottle and smoke everywhere. We were on a trail so we didn't have much access to parts or anything. We noticed that the electric fan was not kicking in (not moving). So, we tested where we were loosing power and it was at the connector. So, we cut some wires and hard wired the fan straight to the battery for a temporary fix. The Jeep ran just fine after that, no problems. We got back to camp that night and I wired a toggle swith to the fan. So, what my question is, is this a common occurance for Jeeps? How can I fix this, so I don't have to keep flippin on the toggle switch every time I go to drive the Jeep?

It might also be a bad fan relay. It's located on the driver's side fenderwell; simply follow the wires from the temp sender in the radiator. One of the terminals should have power when the key is on. If there's no power there, check the fuse panel. In fact, it's a good idea to check the fuse first, then the relay, then the temp sender.

But in all honesty, is it worth all that when you already have it wired to a switch?

Seriously, a switch is better anyway.

That aux fan CAN handle water crossings as long as its off when you dip in, it should last forever.

But if for some reason it was ON and the spinning blades just SMACKED Into water.... you're looking at a problem.

I say, leave it on a switch! :) :thumbsup:

i have mine on a toggle, I like it this way because I can flip it on AS SOON as the temp gets over 210, while with the thermostat it will wait till it already gets too hot, then turn on.

be sure to wire it with a relay, a toggle is not cut out for that kind of electrical load.

Speed_racer said:
The fan is thermostatically controlled.

You see that sensor that hooks into your thermostat housing? It's designed to kick on your auxilary fan at 218*

replace that, and you should be good :)

He has an '89. The sensor for the aux fan on the Renix (non-HO) models is in the driver's side radiator tank, not in the thermostat housing. It's not common for that sensor to fail, but it does happen.

Thanks guys for all the responses!! I did not put a relay on the switch, but I will when I can get to the auto parts store. I think I will just leave it as a switch. I am going to make myself a switch box anyways, for fog lights and air compressor. How often do the jeeps go over 218* in temperature? Do I need to drive around with the fan on all the time? What temperature should I be running at (210?)?

Back