• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 XJ front end/steering issues

Scott Williams

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I recently added some .75" spacers to my front 3" Rusty's lift mainly to try and even up the front with the rear. This has created some issues on its own for the front end and steering. I now have a little bump steer (not too bad but noticeable) and also the steering wheel is a little off center. I have not yet had it aligned, as I wanted to make sure I had stuff worked out if I needed to add any hardware...
When we put on the spacers, we added a track bar relocation bracket. I think that thing may be part of the problem, it doesn't seem to fit all that well and the bolts tend to not stay tight. I'd like to know what you guys have done to trouble shoot the front end, get rid of the bump steer, and also what additional equipment I might need.
TIA

i have the rusty's 3" springs but i used the 2" spacer. my bumpsteer was really bad after i added the spacers.
are you running stock ca's
if so you should upgrade to longer ones. and at least one of those being adj. my caster was totally off and i had vibes from the front shaft after my lift. i replaced the lca with longer(rusty's) ones and that helped.
later i added adj. uppers and corrected the caster and vibes.
i think it would be better for the lca to be adj., rather than the uca. but i pieced as i went and this worked for me.

you may want to do your own alignment...without ca's all the shop will be able to set will be toe-in. and with adj. ca's most shops won't know how to adj. them

Lose the relocation bracket and get a adjustable track bar.Mines a 2000 w/ +6" lift and stock steering,no problems!

That's one of the things I wanted to know. I've looked at the adjustable track bars, what brand would you recommend?

I prefer the RE HD unit(w/ bracket) over all the others Ive tried

Back