• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking at buying a '98 XJ Sport

anything in particular I should pay attention to or look for? i've owned an '87 for 2 years so i'm pretty familiar with checking the leaking oil filter elbow, back of the head/valve cover gasket for oil leaks, etc.

the one i'm looking at is 4-door, 4wd (NP231), corporate rearend. this will be a daily driver, and will see little if any mods (yeah RIGHT!! :roll: )

it's the seller's daily driver, but he's getting a company car and doesn't have room for 2 cars- that's the reason he's selling.

I took it for a spin last friday and didn't notice any weird noises and the AC blew nice & cold, it tracked straight, shifted nicely, power accessories worked fine (mirrors, windows, locks) only thing I noticed was the driver's seat (the butt part, not the back) was a little wobbly- couldn't figure out of there was maybe a loose mounting bolt, or if a bracket is broken. I can weld it back if that's the case. anyone else run into this problem and have any insights?

thanks!
Chuck

Only issues with the 98's were:
Gauge cluster connectors, airbag light comes on, spedo and gauges go to dead, no tripodometer. Remove cluster and clean them, tweak the pins a hair , dielectric grease and plug it back in.
Fuel pump, wacky painted on sender on the pump, gas gauge will wave at ya.
Seat back weld *in* the seat, had mine fixed, $50 and he restuffed the seat for me too :D
Front rotors, composite, factory recall, see if it was done, you could get free rotors out of if not.
Recall on the master cylinder, just a check, mine was good.
Airbag controller relocation, they move it from under the seat and put it under the center console.
PIA things: Plastic push button on the emergency brake handle. Might pop out and take off against the dash. $80 for a new handle and cables installed at the dealer. Save the old one and carve a replacement out of 1"x2" aluminum stock, drill a hole then epoxy it back in as a spare, the plastic button splits and breaks. Steering stablizer, REAL PIA to remove and replace the factory OEM one.
Thats about all I can think of, love mine...

Back