• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Were 4:56s a factory option?

Backdraft

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a parts jeep a month or so ago. '87 2.5 4cyl w/ automatic. Just got around to looking at the gear ratios under it and both front and rear tags state 4.56. Was this a factory option on these things? I was aware of 4.11 only as an option for a 2.5L. The manufacture date says august of 86, but all the emissions tags says it conforms to year model 1987. I did a search and the only thing useful I found was that in 86 there could be one of many ratios ranging from 3.07 to 4.56. They were talking about MJs, but I doubt there was a difference in XJ options in that year. Can anyone clue me in and set me straight?

Mike

I once saw a 4-cyl. MJ on ebay that was listed with factory 4.56 gearing, and seen it rumored elsewhere, so I guess it was available. Good catch!

I just bought an 88 XJ with the 4 cyl, auto and Dana 35. It's got 4.56 from the factory. The tag said 4.56, but I didn't believe it until I opened it up and counted the teeth.

Rick

Cool, i just cracked em open and they were 4.56. Kinda sucks it didnt come with a 44 also. But hey, thats one less axle to regear :cheers: One question tho, can i pull the passenger side axle shaft outta mine and replace that vacuum disco crap in that one or am I stuck with modifying the shift fork to be engaged full time. Thanks

Mike

Backdraft said:
Cool, i just cracked em open and they were 4.56. Kinda sucks it didnt come with a 44 also. But hey, thats one less axle to regear :cheers: One question tho, can i pull the passenger side axle shaft outta mine and replace that vacuum disco crap in that one or am I stuck with modifying the shift fork to be engaged full time. Thanks

Mike

You can use a solid axle shaft. The problem is finding a seal to fit. I think it's been written up that there's a Warn seal that will work. Might also be possible to modify the center section to accept the same seal normally used with the non-diconnect axles. Check with President Woody -- I think I recall him mentioning something like that.

Back